Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining winter cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining winter cover

I live in Ontario, Canada and close my pool for the winter, drained below returns etc. and covered with lock in pool cover. Ihave started to drain the huge amount of water from the top oif the cover, however it seems that the level of the pool water seems to be dropping also. Anyway I can determine if the pool cover has a hole in and maybe I'm draining pool water at the same time?? Or could be just imagining the pool level dropping?? Any thoughts would be helpful. First srping with the new pool.
    London, Ontario, Canada
    16' x 32' IG steel wall, vinyl lined straight back kidney, 5' deep
    Aquarite SWG, pentair clean and clear cartridge filter, 3/4hp whisperflo pump
    Titan heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Both are possible and it is sometimes difficult to tell. Normally I wouldn't expect a cover to leak in it's first year, but it isn't at all out of the question that it could.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That has also happened to me, what I found was the further I drained the cover the pool level stop falling. What I believe happened was I pushed pool water out of the filter return. I did not drain any water off the cover over the winter and the amount water on the cover displaced pool water. This is just my thought. You can bet that I will keep a closer eye on it next year.

I also could not wait, I had to look under the cover and what I saw was crystal clear water.
    15x30 AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Solar Heater
    1.0 HP 2 Speed pump
    + 2 KIDS

4. Back To Top    #4
    when i had that type of cover (love my loop-loc) i would run a hose from the house to fill the pool while i pumped off the top of the cover
    it worked for me