Preparing for a high bather load

gboulton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
Nashville, TN
Our family will be hosting a gathering of a fair number of people this Sunday. It's anticipated that anywhere from 15-20 of them may want to splash about or lounge on rafts for some/much of the afternoon. The group will be about half kids and half adults, and will be at our place for roughly 6-ish hours, during the heat of the day. The pool will be in direct sun the entire time.

I've got a few thoughts on preparing for this event, and would like input, suggestions, and other ides. :)

1) I'm planning on adding some fill water, up to near the top of the skimmer, just to account for what's sure to be heavy loss to splashing.

2) I'm going to run the filter continuously, and vacuum well and backwash Saturday afternoon, to have a nice clean point to start from.

3) I'd presume elevating the Chlorine a bit would be in order, but am not sure by how much?

Are any of those ideas foolish? Anything I'm missing that I can do?

=========

The latest "full round" of tests was the morning of 5/6, before adding any daily chemicals, results were:

FC - 2.5
CC - 0
TA - 120
pH - 7.8
CYA - 30

Those results have been pretty predictable and repeatable.

I've since added 24 oz of CYA (on 5/7, so 45 is a pretty good estimate I think) and started maintaining a target FC of 6 instead of 5. We typically now lose about 2ppm a day, down to 4ppm or so.

Yep, good ideas :goodjob:

I suggest a pre-party starting FC of 8 to 10ish.

It will be good to lower the pH to about 7.2. All that splashing will raise pH and you are already at 7.8.

Make sure to test pH & FC/CC after the party. :wink:

Thanks BF :)

Just for clarification, 7.8 was that morning. I typically bring it down to/try to maintain 7.5, but with the higher TA, that's tough. Your advice is spot on, however, as the high aeration combined with high TA is certainly likely to spike it. I'll hammer it with some dry acid that morning.

So I think the plan is to test around 7am, set a target of 10ppm FC and 7.2 pH in the pool calc, and dose to those numbers. Folks are supposed to arrive around 10-11 or so, so that should give plenty of time for everything to circulate and make for a nice safe, sparkly pool :)
Thanks for the suggestion on FC as well. Was thinking 8-10 might seem appropriate, good to have it confirmed.

gboulton,

Very nice planning ahead. You are a true BBB'r. If the bather load is really HEAVY, don't be surprised if your pool clouds up for a day or so. Simply maintain your FC right at that elevated level of 8-10ppm and run your filter until it clears. BF LOVES pics!! So do we all!! :party: :party:

Yep, sure is. :)

We happen to share a property line with the nearby regional airport. Air show is this weekend, and we're kinda close...how close? Well...this is an F-18 taking off to do his demo at last year's air-show (Turn your volume down...it gets a little loud *heh*)

[youtube:2c748tig]_O9kmMr4Tsw[/youtube:2c748tig]

We always invite a crowd over, grill up a bunch of dead animal, and just have a fun afternoon watching really cool airplanes fly over the house. This year, we've added the pool. :)

Personally, I intend to watch the entire Blue Angels performance while lying on my back on a pool mattress! :goodjob:

@duraleigh,

Wow...thanks for the compliment! I told y'all in my intro...I'm an old aquarist who LOVES simple! :lol:

Thanks for the heads up on cloudy water too. I'll keep an eye open.

duraleigh said:
BF LOVES pics!! So do we all!! :party: :party:

Well, no pics of the pool party yet of course...but when I say the airshow happens over the house, I'm not kidding. :lol:

Taken looking back over the house, from the "back side" of the pool :

photo-vi.jpg

Taken from the front yard...the C5 is a metric ***load of airplane, y'all :

45226661024-vi.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, sadly, the forecast for Sunday just keeps getting worrse and worse. Right now, the highs aren't going to get out of the 70's this weekend, and a strong chance of rain/clouds/storms. :(

Hopefully things will brighten up by tomorrow, otherwise my planning will all be for naught. (Though i will certainly be able to file away what I've learned, for next time!)

Well, the weather forecast for Sunday is just horrible. Thunderstorms mid day AND late afternoon, with a cloud deck so low even the Angels low show would be threatened, and temperatures not terribly suited for swimming. All in all, a big fat :cry:

Can't thank you guys enough for the input and insight on the preparations, though. I intend to file all this away for future use. And just so I don't completely dominate this topic with off topic pictures of airplanes (though I WILL start another thread in the appropriate place for those) here's a quick shot of the kids and some friends enjoying the pool as I type this. :)

242127072-vi.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.