Converting from pristine blue to BBB

Hi, Michelle,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Start by reading up in Pool School and recognize the need for a test kit where you can post all these test results.....

pH
FC
CC
CH
CYA

Armed with those test results, we can get you started. Also tell us how your water looks when you get those posted up.

Welcome to TFP.

If you search the site for Pristine Blue using the Google search in the bottom left corner you'll find lots of posts about it. It's not a sanitizer at all and adds copper to your pool.

How long have you been using Pristine Blue?
Are you using any chlorine in the pool at this time?

Hi, Michelle,

EDIT: A really good idea would be to get another copper test at another store first....is that an option?

By far, the best solution is to drain and refill in several steps. Is that an option for you?

That is a TON of copper in your pool and it is not really removable. Unless you can drain and refill over half of your pool, you can probably manage it by keeping your pH somewhere around 7.1 - 7.4 AT ALL TIMES. Never let it get higher than that as you might risk some copper staining. I think you may have to introduce you chlorine in a diluted and very slow fashion to prevent a temporary local spike in pH which I suppose could precipitate some of that copper as well.

The copper test I used was from the pristine kit that I have, it is a test that I do every two weeks, if level acts as usual it will be dropping within next five days. I tried to get test done at local store today, they did not have copper test....going into city tomorrow will take sample to pinch a penny, for a doubl check. I am not surprised at level, it is normal within the pb program.Don't think I can put that much water on ground (large crop of peanuts within 30ft of pool)....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So now I am wondering if that really is a copper test kit that came with my pb set up. It is what was provided at the purchase of the pool. I add pb on a two week cycle by this reading...and it is called a copper test. It will be.1-.3 by the time I get to the next cycle. So I think that I will take to other pool store ( not pb location)and get a reading. Will post as soon as confirm either way.

Michelle W said:
Kit not here yet, went to walmart got kit...here are results
Total hardness 250
Total chlorine 0
Free chlorine 2
PH 8.4
Total alkalinity 120
Stabilizer 100

Still running filter, getting algae out. Can I do anything with these numbers

stabilizer and pH are too high
assuming your results are accurate a first step would be to drain your pool by half to reduce your stabilizer. Adding fresh water will probably reduce your pH a bit. Once you get your stabilizer down to at least 50 (30 is better for shocking because shock levels are lower) you can add acid to get your pH down to the 7.4 range and add chlorine and keep it at shock levels until you arent losing any more chlorine overnight, CC <.5 pool is clear

not sure how your total chlorine can be 0 and fc be 2 :)

ok, went to Pool Store this morning and had a water test done.
Total Hardness - 230
total Cholrine - 0
free Cholrine - 0
pH - 8.0
Total Alkalinity 95
Stabilizer 0
Copper .3

I did purchase the Metal Control Product just in case you thought i might need it. I am 30 miles from the pool store and can always return it on the next trip into the city. I feel comfortable with these numbers, told analysist I was converting from PB to Cholrine.

Those numbers look fairly good. If that copper reading is correct you are just below the copper level where staining is a problem with a vinyl liner (vinyl stains less easily than other surfaces).

You do need to continue lowering your PH, and then it is time to start adding some chlorine and stabilizer/CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.