Newbie in every way !!

fishinabarrel

Silver Supporter
May 9, 2012
Hi all,

Just signed up. Been reading the articles for the past month or so. What a great site !!!

You can call me fish, or you can call me Rob.

I have been a pool owner for well over 5 days now (Bought house last Friday).
Now have pool and hot tub. We are in Harrisburg, NC.

Pool is an in ground plaster complete with robot, cartridge filter and awesome algae bloom left by previous owner.

I'll describe what we are doing. IF we are making any grievous mistakes, please let me know.
We are tackling the algae using the tips found here. I think the pool is a lighter shade of green than it was on Saturday.

Scraping the sides each day.
Cleaning out skimmers.
Took apart the cartridge filter, hosed it down (was solid green algae mess, and is now whitish). Pressure dropped from 25 psi to 10 after cleaning.
Added 2 cups of chlorine stuff (We have an existng box of 3 in 1 stuff). I think it is Trichlor. Need to check.
Plan on picking up bleach today. No idea how much to add yet. I am guessing the pool is 10,000 gallons but that too is a wild guess.

Can't see the bottom in the deep yet. But water feels good. I haven't sensed any CC.
Oh yeah, no test kit, but I ordered one, so I am driving completely blind at this point. I ordered one of the recommended ones. from here.

Fish

Hey, Rob,
Welcome to the forum. :lol: Once your kit gets to you, post a set of test results. Then, you will need to shock the pool to get it clear. I would suggest you start by thoroughly reading "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" and then "How to shock you Pool". both articles are up in Pool School.

YOu need to know the gallonage of your pool. 7.48 gallons = 1 cubic foot. We can help further if you need it.

From there we can help you get your pool crystal clear. You will need massive amounts of chlorine....think in terms of dozens of jugs of Clorox instead of cups but it's the only way to get it crystal clear. We will all help. :lol:

Welcome to TFP.

Be careful adding the so called "3-in-1" stuff. It may contain copper and that may cause you staining problems. Once you find out what it is you'll know if you want to continue using it.

You should scoop as much debris out of the pool as you can if there's any in there.

I would just add about 3 ppm per day of FC until you get your kit. Do you have any pool store numbers you can post until your kit arrives?

Bama Rambler said:
Do you have any pool store numbers you can post until your kit arrives?

Nope, no numbers. Kit arrives tomorrow though.

Just ran around town comparing bleach prices.

Walmart and Home Depot = 1.42 gallons for $2.98 (6% generics)
Sams club 3 bottles for $8.54 (1.42 gallons each)

Will try Aldi later today.

Pool size is somewhere between 11,000 and 16,000 by me using an online pool size calculator and guessing at distances. I'll measure tonight, figure the volume and then add it to my signature !!

And thanks much for the tips. :p

Ahha ! Kit arrives.

Cya = 100 ppm (previous owners used trichlor exclusively for years, end result, lots of acids kicking around)
Free C = 18 PPM (due to lots of jugs added over the past 2 days)
CC = 1 ppm
ph = 7.25

Water 40% clearer than day before. Will test tonight and add bleach accordingly. I think I am winning. Not sure when or how I will deal with the high cyanuric acid levels.

First thing to do is mix half tap water and half pool water and retest your CYA to be sure it isn't a lot higher than 100 ppm. Double the result you get from the half & half test and if it's close to one hundred I'd deal with it now.

You'll need to drain half of your water and refil. If your water table isn't an issue (you need to know for sure) you can do it all at once. Leave about a foot in the shallow end and that should get you close. Once you get it refilled, retest and lets go from there.

Ok I will redo the CYA test 1st.

Problem is, there is already a water restriction in place here. I am not sure I can refill. I guess I can get water delivered. Not quite sure where to drain either. What is draining etiquette ? I have neighbors downhill from me is 3 directions.

Check around and see if anyone offers R/O (reverse osmosis) treatment for pools. In some areas of the country they do. If you have water restrictions and live in a part of the country where R/O isn't available, you may have to live with the high CYA.

Let us know what the CYA is and we can help suggest a plan to maintain the pool.