Understanding Autofill

RickyEarl

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I have inherited a pool in my new house that was, in a word, severely neglected. Over the past through months, thanks to this forum and a lot of work, I have gotten it in line and we use it daily.

Now I'm moving on to secondary items. The pool has a "Pool Miser" autofiller which is in some sad shape. I have tracked down and fixed the 5 or so cracks and leaks in the PVC running from the faucet to the float.

I got to the float area and the entire thing was filled with mud and roots. Spent about an hour pulling them out and then shop-vac-ed up the mud and sand. Now it's clear as a bell in there.

But the float valve doesn't work right. It's just a regular Fluidmaster toilet float valve except that the the little nub for the overflow hose has been sealed. I replaced it with a regular $6.00 valve and tucked the hose back down in there. Now when we're in the pool and moving around, you periodically hear the sound of the water shooting through the hose as the float moves - it's a rather loud "squirt" every few seconds. And when it actually tries to fill more than a few drops it's a constant noise and seems to take forever.

I tried plugging the nub up but the pressure broke the plug loose - it wasn't filling either.

Do I just have to live with the hose noise and insanely slow flow rate or am I doing something wrong?

You could get a large opening float valve and that would reduce the noise a lot. Those toilet bowl fill valves have a very slow flow rate and some of them make a lot of noise due to the water running through a small orifice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.