Re: How to clean a cartridge filter

bbrock, it is surprising to see the Worx Hydroshot didn't work well for you - the cleaning power I get is much better than my standard hose and any hose nozzle I have. I don't think the 20v vs the 40v is a big difference.

At least for me, I probably spent half the time and used much less than half the water I did in the past.

I didn't see your original question back in July - you asked about moss on pavers - I tried it on my paver driveway and it was strong enough to strip out the polymeric sand between the pavers, so I stopped using it to clean my driveway.

thank you for the heads up and I will try very hard to make more sense of all of this. I accidentally just ran across your message. I understand clearly what you're saying and will be more mindful Of what I'm posting. Thank you for running such a clean and uncluttered site it's a pleasure working with everybody.

Take Care, Kathy

So I know this is an old post but had a ton of good conversation and discussion. I wanted to add a few cents on the two discussed tools.
FilterFlosser I have bought two of these and somehow lost two of them. The pure benefit here is a spray tool that can just cover more area than one stream which reduces the amount of time and back ache in cleaning four giant filters. It does a decent job.
Aquacomb I own and have used on three cleanings so far. This thing is AWESOME. Now I have one comment and suggestion regarding this thing. Don't buy the pool version. When I last did my filters I really felt like I was scraping the back of the filter pleats and got worried about putting a hole in the back of the pleat. So my recommendation is to get the spa version which has smaller plastic fingers.
Aqua Comb Spa Filter Cleaner Tool

One thing I have read is about everyone having such high PSI in this forum. I have been told that if they get up to 25 psi I should clean them but I don't believe they have ever got to 15 psi. Just cleaned and they are running at 10 psi now and when I first installed I think they might of been around 8 psi. Some of these comments on the high PSI were regarding users who are like on the second season and cleaning them often. Maybe just a different system I guess.

One question I have is after last year there was a lot of gray grim that came off the filters. Anyone have an answer to possibly what this is?

So I know this is an old post but had a ton of good conversation and discussion. I wanted to add a few cents on the two discussed tools.
FilterFlosser I have bought two of these and somehow lost two of them. The pure benefit here is a spray tool that can just cover more area than one stream which reduces the amount of time and back ache in cleaning four giant filters. It does a decent job.
Aquacomb I own and have used on three cleanings so far. This thing is AWESOME. Now I have one comment and suggestion regarding this thing. Don't buy the pool version. When I last did my filters I really felt like I was scraping the back of the filter pleats and got worried about putting a hole in the back of the pleat. So my recommendation is to get the spa version which has smaller plastic fingers.
Aqua Comb Spa Filter Cleaner Tool

One thing I have read is about everyone having such high PSI in this forum. I have been told that if they get up to 25 psi I should clean them but I don't believe they have ever got to 15 psi. Just cleaned and they are running at 10 psi now and when I first installed I think they might of been around 8 psi. Some of these comments on the high PSI were regarding users who are like on the second season and cleaning them often. Maybe just a different system I guess.

One question I have is after last year there was a lot of gray grim that came off the filters. Anyone have an answer to possibly what this is?

Thanks for the suggestion on the Spa vs Pool cleaner tool. I'm getting ready to order one. I think TFP recommends cleaning filters when you see a 25% increase in pressure. So if you start at 10 psi, you'd clean at 12.5-13 psi. Not sure about the gray grime. Pollen? Oils? Sunscreen? Pollutants? You might try scraping some off and testing with muriatic acid, it might be calcium.

For anyone looking for a suitable trash can to soak 4x 105 sq. ft. cartridges (7"W x 26"H each,) Rubbermaid Roughneck 32 gallon model # 2008186 is 15"W at base x 28.5"H and is $15 at Home Depot. About to pick one up for myself. I'll edit this post if it doesn't fit.

This is the kind that I use... not this one exactly, but very similar... just a simple non-adjustable nozzle that makes a perfect stream.

prod-0047041-zoom.jpg
Can you post this pic again? For some reason, I can't see it.

Is there any downside to using TSP? Is it dangerous? My pool is about 14 years old and I am on my second set of filters as I replaced the first set after about ten years. I clean them about one week after the pool is opened and then about one or two times during the season. They have lots of gunk, but I have never used TSP and my water is crystal clear. What do I gain by using TSP?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TSP will remove any oils from the cartridge. Sunscreen, lotion, hair products, etc. It is imperative to do a TSP soak prior to doing an acid soak of a filter, if desired.

Thanks Marty - I have never done either although the company that closes my pool used to take the cartridges away when they closed the pool but they haven't done that in recent years.

Presumably you should do the same with your spa filters as well? I bought some Spaahsome filter cleaner but haven't used it yet. Is it similar.

Whenever I clean my cartridges I think about how it is said that one of the advantages of carts over sand is that you save water by not having to backwash. But considering how much water I have to drain from my egg-shaped filter housing to get the carts out and how much water I use from the hose spraying down the cartridges, is there really that much water being saved?

m.

Reactions: Lpv77
Wayner, I just replaced the 2 spa filters I had in rotation (probably 6 or 7 years old). Found a set cheap enough at Amazon. Figured I'd replace them as my last water fill was getting cloudy at 2 months vs. about 4+ months. And, I was not using my spa anymore than normal and was always maintaining sanitizer and shocking each week.

@TheDeuce, yes, I always feel guilty on the amount of water used to clean my 4 pool cartridges. I use the single stream small brass nozzle and it ends of being quite a bit of water.

Depending on filter size, the amount of filters you have, and budget, I'd say replace them instead of dealing with the TSP soak.
Ok, you clearly excluded me and OP and our $500 filters, so thank you. :) Even so, many are $100-$150 and worth the effort to clean. Especially the systems that take 4 cartridges.

I think you save a lot of water. How often do you clean your filters? I do probably 2-3 cleanings per year, I think that is way less than backwashing.

Wayner, I just replaced the 2 spa filters I had in rotation (probably 6 or 7 years old). Found a set cheap enough at Amazon. Figured I'd replace them as my last water fill was getting cloudy at 2 months vs. about 4+ months. And, I was not using my spa anymore than normal and was always maintaining sanitizer and shocking each week.

@TheDeuce, yes, I always feel guilty on the amount of water used to clean my 4 pool cartridges. I use the single stream small brass nozzle and it ends of being quite a bit of water.
I did the same with buying new spa filters online a few years ago. But the spa filters don't get nearly as bad as the pool filter as they mainly get hair and a bit of gunk. The pool filter gets a lot of what looks like mud, plus lots of bugs, pollen etc. I live near Lake Ontario and we get swarms of tons of these tiny bugs called midges. They are so small that they generally pass right through the skimmer and filter baskets: Midges are once again tormenting people in Toronto The can coat much of the service of the pool and require manually skimming at times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.