Re: How to clean a cartridge filter

PoolGuyNJ said:
First, find the amount of displaced water when adding a cartridge.

Fill a vessel such as a clean garbage can with enough water to cover a cartridge. Measure the volume.
Mark the water level.
Add a cartridge. Agitate it to knock off and trapped air.
The water level will have risen some. Siphon off the water into a large corn pot until you get the water level back to the original mark.
Measure the amount of water in the corn pot. That is how much water is displaced by a single cartridge. Adding additional cartridges should displace the same amount.

Now you can calculate how many gallons and how much TSP.

Scott

I don't believe I have a corn pot.

I think I would just fill the trash can to the very top then add the cartridge, letting the water overflow out of the trash can. Then remove the cart and the water will drop. Measure the distance from the top of the can to the water. (height)

Then calculate the volume with volume = pi * diameter^2 /4 * height

But it's OK, because I don't have a cartridge filter either.

thunderkyss said:
Will soaking in dish washing detergent make it any easier to get all the dirt/sand out of the pleats?

I am currently just using a hose & spreading the pleats with one hand while hitting it with the hose. This is very time consuming.

From my experience today, soaking in soap does not prevent the need to spread the pleats with one hand while spraying each pleat with the hose with the other hand.

But it does get cleaner.

Still very time intensive.

I have a Sta-Rite System 3 300 sq. ft filter that I rinsed off for the first time on the weekend. I didn't use any TSP or dish detergent yet as I didn't have the chance to go out and purchase a clean garbage can.

I was successful in cleaning the dirt, bugs and other small stuff out of the cartridge but it is still a dull grey colour and certainly not white. Is that due to suntan lotion etc? Said another way, how do i know the cartridge has suntan lotion, persperation etc and that it is time to clean with TSP?

Also, what works better TSP or dish detergent?

Thanks

Robbo said:
I was successful in cleaning the dirt, bugs and other small stuff out of the cartridge but it is still a dull grey colour and certainly not white. Is that due to suntan lotion etc? Said another way, how do i know the cartridge has suntan lotion, persperation etc and that it is time to clean with TSP?

I had the same problem. Bought a waterwand online, since I didn't have a nozzle on my hose. Works like a charm, filter is bright and white again.

The main purpose of the band is to keep the pleats from separating duing operation. I am not sure that just a cable tie without some glue will occomplish that. If you look at the old bands they should have been glued to each pleat.

Also, I find that if you clean the filter in the morning, by late afternoon on a hot day, they are dry enough to hot glue the bands. You only need the surface of the pleat and the band to be dry and it really doesn't need to be completely dry either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

If the canister has a drain plug near the bottom, then use a hose to force it out. My oversized 4-cart filter opens up in half so I'm able to reach into it to the bottom, but nevertheless I still end up splashing the junk on the bottom out the drain outlet. As noted above, a little junk won't hurt relative to the huge surface area of the filters.

Since I am in the pool maintenance business, I clean cartridge filters all day long. Most of the pros that I know use this.http://www.filterflosser.com/ It saves me time (money) and does a great job without splashing nasty gunk all over my clothes. It's one of those things that you wished you had thought to invent. :lol:

I am not affiliated with this company in any way. This is just a very good tool for this task and a friendly tip from a pool guy.

flyingvranch said:
Since I am in the pool maintenance business, I clean cartridge filters all day long. Most of the pros that I know use this.http://www.filterflosser.com/ It saves me time (money) and does a great job without splashing nasty gunk all over my clothes. It's one of those things that you wished you had thought to invent. :lol:

I am not affiliated with this company in any way. This is just a very good tool for this task and a friendly tip from a pool guy.
Looks like a great tool. Thanks for the tip! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.