EcoPump info or best EE Pump

Nuke

May 9, 2012
I think am interested in the EcoPump but I am surprised that the only information I can find is on their web site. I would have figured with the world wide web there would have been more independent information available or reviews or something. I managed to find one of the forms discussing the proper wiring. I noticed Jasonlion commented that the EcoPump was not the most economical, but didn’t enlighten us with which pump he felt was and why.

So I am really confused on what to consider. I have had a 1 hp single speed 230V Jacuzzi Magnum pump for @10 years that I have replaced the motors on a couple times but the pump portion has finally died. I want something more energy efficient. I have an 18,000 gal outdoor in-ground pool in So FL. I use an offspring type cleaning system (i.e. sons w/hose and pole) well I actually have to do it if I want a decent job of it.

So this EcoPump site claims their pump only uses 1 amp for @ $753. EE pumps use @ 3-5 amps at a $450 range. Non-EE pumps draw much higher amps but can be had for @ $200. I am looking for economy of operation, but being able to recover my investment in a reasonable time frame. What about variable speed control boxes? I think they fall into the Prius category. Great economy but is it worth the extra up-front costs?

I am not too sure I understand this 2 speed pump theory. I am guessing you use full speed and higher amp draw to vacuum and run automatic cleaning equipment, but filter for longer periods at a low speed thus lower amp draw. Is that correct? But if I use the calculator tool to determine what HP and GPM I need for my pool and I determine that I can get away with a ¾ HP pump, how is that pump preforming at the lower speed?

Am I going to have to buy a new timer for a 2 speed pump?
I am interested in any enlightenment knowledgeable members are willing to offer

Welcome to TFP!

What are the electric rates in your area? A true variable speed pump, which the EcoPump is not, will always be the most efficient. But depending on what your electric rates are that extra efficiency may or may not be enough to pay back the initial investment in the pump.

A two speed pump moves half as much water on low speed, but only 1/4 as much electricity. That means if you run it twice as long it moves the same total amount of water but uses one half the total amount of electricity.

Whatever "calculator tool" you used to figure out HP and GPM is almost certainly wrong. Most such tools make assumptions that are not true for residential pools.

You might want a new timer, you might not. The simplest thing to do is to let your current timer determine when the pump is on and to install a manual switch which determines what speed the pump runs at. Then you leave it on low speed expect for priming, vacuuming and other special situations.

okay thanks, I have a couple other questions but I kind of want to keep this thread about the EcoPumps for now. Why do you think it is not the most efficent? Does anyone have experience with them? I doubt I will go variable. Don't plan on living here long enough to get the return. So that leaves 2 speed. EcoPumps claim a 1 amp draw for a 3/4 230V 2 speed pump at low speed I guess. Whisperflow is 5.6 or so. EcoPump is @$756 where an EE Whisperflow is in the $560 area. Is the $200 worth it? 1 Amp vrs 5.6 seems significant If I'm runnung it 8 hours or so. I find it hard to come up with a Florida Power and Light rate. I guess it is different if I run my pump at night. I also only run my A/C for the house at night. My wife pays the bills I just earn the $$$ so I really don't know what I am paying. Any EcoPump info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

We've discussed these pumps on the site before; if you do a search using the google search box in the very bottom left of the page, you can find some of the older threads. The short version is that in the opinion of everyone around here, it is better to stick with an established brand that openly publishes the facts. Their "electron storage technology" is nothing more than a capacitor run motor, which all manufacturers use.

Their cost estimates for other pumps are dramatically higher than what those other pumps actually use when measured in real world installs. They seem to have gone with name plate max amp ratings, which have little to do with real world usage. They also seem to assume constant pump run times regardless of water flow, but in realty you would run a larger pump for a shorter total time.

In the real world a two speed 3/4 HP WhisperFlo on low draws around 340 watts, or about 1.4 amps. But that really doesn't tell you anything unless you also know how much water each pump is moving. The WhisperFlo moves more water than the EcoPump, making up for nearly all of the small power usage difference.

Meanwhile, an IntelliFlo, running at its optimal speed, draws about 140 watts, or about 0.58 amps. The IntelliFlo at that speed moves a bit less less water than either the EcoPump or the WhisperFlo, but not proportionally less, so it ends up being much more efficient in watts/gallon pumped (almost twice as much water moved per watt compared to a WhisperFlo and a bit less than that but still a substantial lead over an EcoPump).

okay thank you. I didn't know about the site search.
I thought it odd that I couldn’t seem to find any independent data on the EcoPump. Sounds like a hybrid or Solyndra. Might save you money during use but will it make up the front end costs or is it fuzzy info? So I guess I am looking at an EE 1hp dual speed Superflo. My pool lines are 1.5” and I guess Whisperflo is for 2”.

I have read that these pumps come with a toggle switch, so it sounds like I should be able to use my current timer and just set it up for low speed except for initial priming after cleaning the basket and vacuuming. I would expect it to hold prime after shutdown until the next run cycle.

Does someone have the wiring instructions?
My timer has an A lug and 1 Line 2 Load 3 Line 4 Load

My electricity rate is .085/kWh up to the 1st 1000, then .1055 over that. My electric usage during the pool & A/C season has been 1600-2200kWh. I only run A/C at night as I live near the coast. I’ll be honest I never really set up the timer; I just run the pump depending on what the water looked like. Basically if it got cloudy I’d run the pump until I went to bed or overnight.

They have a program where they can control my A/C, Heating, Water Heater and Pool Pump where they might shut them down during peak hours during early and late afternoons, but not evenings, weekends or holidays. I get some kind of rebate up to $137 or something. That’s only per year, but what the hey, that’s better than nothing.

Again thank you for the info and this site
very informative, and members willing to share their knowledge and opinions

I received my 1 hp dual speed Superflo.
only problem is I want to make sure i do not screw up wiring it up
I guess I have a 3 prong plug one with L1 another with L2 is the third ground?
I'm guessing L1 goes to the connector with no wires going to it
I guess L2 goes to the black wire going to the switch
and the ground from the plug goes to the green ground screw.
and I would also have a ground from a grounding rod connected to the exterior grounding point on the outside of the motor?
does that sound right?

You talk about a hard wired timer and a three prong plug, which do not normally go together. Usually a hardwired timer is hardwired to the pump, with no plug or socket involved.

You run the AC coming from the house to lugs 1 & 3 on the timer and then run a wire from lugs 2 & 4 on the timer and head them on towards the pump. With a 240 volt setup those two wires are called L1 and L2. If you have an external speed switch the wires headed towards the pump go to the speed switch where one of them gets connected (either L1 or L2) and then high and low speed wires come off the switch and continue towards the pump. On the pump there should be common, high, low, and ground connections. If your pump has an internal speed switch then it will take L1, L2, and ground.

The third wire, which should always been green (or occasionally bare), is the ground. The green screw inside the motor ground gets connected to the ground wire coming from the house. Do not use a grounding rod (unless you have a sub-panel and understand the NEC rules for sub-panels). The external "ground" connection on the outside of the pump is for bonding, which has nothing to do with grounding. The bonding connection should get connected to your binding wire coming from the pool structure (if you have one). If you don't have a bonding wire then it is left un-connected.

If this isn't enough to explain things, try posting a photo of your timer, switch, and pump electrical connections and we can explain in more detail by referring to the photos.

Just installed a Pentair 1 HP.,2 speed whisperflo after going through the same wondering stage. Whisperflo or Ecopump! We have a 20k pool. I don't think except for priming and filter cleaning that we will ever use the high speed. On the low speed it is satisfactory for vacuuming. It will also be sufficient on low speed to circulate water for our solar hot water system. Our meter in in EXTREME slow motion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.