First test on new pool

Aug 27, 2011
Chicago,il
Hi Everyone,

Just filled our new vinyl lined pool (our first pool period) with a SWG. Ive been reading hear for a while and my test results with the TFP test kit are as follows:

.5 FC
.5 CC
1 TC
340 T/A
8.0 PH
2840 PPM salt
and 510 CH.

I want to attack this thing tomorrow but I'm kinda lost on the whole CH thing.. I know to add bleach and superchlorinate to raise the FC and to add muriatic acid to bring down the PH but that CH I have no idea what to do with.. CYA i couldn't seem to get a reading on. The black dot at the bottom didnt disappear as it said in the instructions even when the tube was filled to the top..

Where do i start?!?! :?

Thanks a million!!

Bob

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

First thing to do is add some muriatic acid (use Pool Calc to figure how much) to bring the pH down to about 7.2
Then add enough bleach to get your FC to about 3.
Then add enough CYA (cyanuric acid) to get to about 30 ppm.

After that I'd run a OCLT since you have .5 CC just to be sure you don't need to shock.

Your CH is high but unless your fill water is really low there's not a lot you can do about it. The good news is that you can live with it if you're careful about maintaining the balance especially the pH. An alternate would be to hire an R/O company to treat your water but that's pretty expensive and not available in many places.

Can you test your fill water and post the results?

After all that it would be nice to add your pool and equip info to your sig. As well as your general location. :-D

Thanks so much for the guidance Bama!

I took your advice today and added the stuff pool calculator indicated.. Here are my new numbers.. Seems better... Thoughts?

FC=3
Tc=3
T/a=250
Ph= 7.2
Cya= 25

Is this pretty close to where I want to run this at? Water looks very clear and feels good. No signs of algae or anything so far..

Very excited and hoping this Chicago weather will come around to enjoy this pool!

Thanks again for all your help!

Bob

That looks pretty good except for the TA. Don't worry about it unless your pH is really hard to maintain. It'll come down over time as you adjust the pH down.

I'm not sure about Chicago, but you may want a bit higher CYA. No hurry there either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.