Above Ground Pool Equipment Wiring Question

May 8, 2012
Hello,
I am new to the forums, so thank you all for your help in advance and it is a pleasure to meet everyone on here.

We are having our first above ground pool installed in about a week, so I am trying to prepare for it by having all the electrical work done before hand. Here is my dilemma. We have a 115v pool pump that requires 10 amps and it has a twistlock plug connection. We also have a Zodiac c170 salt water chlorinator that runs on 220v and says it has a 2 amp load whatever that means. This is a hard wired peice of equipment. We want both pieces of equipment to run on automated timers so that the chlorinator only comes on when the pool pump is on. What do I need to buy or do to successfully achieve my intentions. I know I will have to have a 240 and 120 volt line run from my basement panel to the backyard underground seperately and have them come up to a post, but where should I go from there. Can I somehow cut the plug off of the pool pump and make that a hard wire connection as well? Are there any timers that the 240 and 120 line can be wired to that will allow my to hardwire my equipment directly to the timer? Also, will I need seperate timers for each peice of equipment if there is no dual timer that will accept multiple lines or equipment? Please help!

Thanks
G

gregr72481 said:
Here is my dilemma. We have a 115v pool pump that requires 10 amps and it has a twistlock plug connection. We also have a Zodiac c170 salt water chlorinator that runs on 220v and says it has a 2 amp load whatever that means. This is a hard wired peice of equipment. We want both pieces of equipment to run on automated timers so that the chlorinator only comes on when the pool pump is on. What do I need to buy or do to successfully achieve my intentions. I know I will have to have a 240 and 120 volt line run from my basement panel to the backyard underground seperately and have them come up to a post, but where should I go from there. Can I somehow cut the plug off of the pool pump and make that a hard wire connection as well? Are there any timers that the 240 and 120 line can be wired to that will allow my to hardwire my equipment directly to the timer? Also, will I need seperate timers for each peice of equipment if there is no dual timer that will accept multiple lines or equipment? Please help!

Thanks
G

Greg,

Yes you can cut the plug off and hard wire the SWCG.

There is no need to run seperate 240 & 120 volt lines, just run a single 240 volt line out, (most likely from a 10 amp breaker) and tap one leg for the 120 volt equipment.

If you can't find a 240 volt timer you can buy a 240 volt contactor,(motor starter) with a 120 volt coil to engage it, and run the coil from a regular 120 volt timer.

If you need more info let me know and I will see if i can put a line drawing together for you.

It is not as complicated as it sounds, lol.

Samantha,

Yes, that would be much appreciated. I am a little confused about what a contactor and coil are in terms of wiring. I can handle many taks, but have never been challeneged with this type before. Would it be easier to run two seperate timers, one for the 220 equipment and one for the 110 equipment, and then sync them to turn on and off at the same time? Also a lot of these timers that I have seen in the stores have a receptacle to plug into and then a seperate plug that is supposed to plug into an outlet. I would rather have all the eqipment wired directly, as well as the timer wired from the direct lines. Hopefully the timer has an on/off switch in which you can manually turn the equipment on if need be.

Also, if I do cut the twistlock plug off of the 115v filter pump, there should be one black, one white, and one green plug, correct? I am a little concerned about runing a brand new pump if the wires are not identifiable.

Thank you so much

Greg

Samantha Sabrina said:
There is no need to run seperate 240 & 120 volt lines, just run a single 240 volt line out
That will only work if you install a sub-panel out by the pool. Installing a sub-panel is definitely an option, but it may or may not come out more expensive. Depending on how far the wire run is, and a few other factors, the least expensive option might be to replace the SWG with one that works on 110 volts.

The wires will be properly color coded when you cut the plug off.

The subpanel option sounds good because it would take in a 240 line, in which breakers would deem each of the equipments power source, correct?

Also, I think a switch and timer can be wired for each piece of equipment between the breaker and the equipment themselves, correct?

The salt water chlorinator would be wired to a 2 pole 15 amp breaker and the pool pump would be wired to a single pole 15 amp breaker. With this being said, I should get a small 30 amp subpanel with around 4 breaker spots, if they make them. Since the draw on the equipment is only around 13 total amps when running, this should be fine I assume. Also, I wonder if they make breaker panels with a built in timer, that way the one timer would control all the equipment wired within the breaker panel.

Does it sound like I am somewhat on a right track?

Greg

You can get a subpanel that's a 4 circuit panel, and you could run it off a timer. I haven't seen a breaker panel with a built in timer in that size but several companies make automation systems that have the sub panel built in and they can control several pieces of equipment.

Some pumps can be set up for 110v or 220v, it's just a matter of moving some spade connectors in the end of the motor. The placard on the motor should tell you if this is possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.