Stains on pebble sheen after vitamin C

Shane1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2010
Buckeye, AZ 85326
So about a week ago I found some spots on the floor of our pool. They were rust colored so I thought I would try vitamin c. It worked but two of the vitamin c pills left some dark spots. One is about the size of a quarter and the other is the size of a fist or so. I searched the forum and found that this could be from copper. I also laid a puck on the stain for quite a while with no change.
I'm wondering why the other vitamin c pills didnt stain the pebble or if something else could be the culprit. I cant test for copper but will take a sample to Leslies and see what they come up with. I havent used anything in the pool besides pucks, acid and bleach. I put some coins by the stains for size comparison. Any help would be appreciated.
FC 4
TC 4
PH 7.4
TA 100
Ch 300
CYA 100+
Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF1636.JPG
    DSCF1636.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 197
  • DSCF1636.JPG
    DSCF1636.JPG
    233.7 KB · Views: 185
I am not sure about the stains, but I can't help notice your CYA of 100+ :shock:

Is that correct? How did you test for it? That is VERY high, and needs to be addressed. Unfortunately, the only way to get your CYA down is by draining and re-filling.

Pucks add CYA...do you use lots of them?

If your CYA is really 100, then your pool would require a minimum FC of 7 and a target level of 12.

Thanks for the link to that thread. I ended up buying a CuLator powerpak. The package says it removes copper, iron, manganese, cobalt, nickel and silver. I had the local pool store test the water for metals and they found a little bit of copper .02 - .03ppm but that was it. I wanted to get some opinions about the product I choose before I use it. The directions say to just put the little pouch in the skimmer and let it do its work. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I expect you will find the CuLator will remove some of the copper that is in solution (which isn't very high in your pool, anyway) but will not really have any affect on the stains.

I really can't help identifying the stains (sorry) but I don't think the CuLator will remove them.....for that matter, the CuLator does not seem to remove enough metal that's in solution to be particularly useful.

Let us know if you have a different experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.