Muratic Acid Cost

jasonknox

Platinum Supporter
May 4, 2010
SW Georgia
I was buying my Muratic Acid from Home Depot for around $9.00 per gallon last year. I when back last week to get some more and it was $12.00 per gallon. Has any body else noticed this? Is there something going on in the Muratic Acid market or did Home Depot just raise prices?

jasonknox,

Think you may have gotten your numbers wrong. I went to Home Depot last week and bought 2 gallons for $12.98. They come in a 2-pak. If you bought one gallon, my guess is they charged you for the 2-pak. They only sell them in 2-paks here in MD.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my area, Lowes will sell you two different containers of MA, depending on which part of the store you get it from. If you go in the paint area, you can find a gallon of Klean-Strip MA at 31% strength for about $7. (Don't confuse that with the Klean-Strip Safer, which will probably be right next to it). Or, you can go into the outdoor/pool section, and find Kem-Tek MA in a box, 2 gallons of 15% MA for about $10. That is, double the volume of half the strength for more money than a gallon of the full-strength stuff. And, if you want to smile, you can look at the contents of the "Daily Sanitizer and Shock" - 5.25% sodium hypochlorite, for $4.00 a gallon. :shock:

Stay out of the "pool" areas of the hardware store, unless you're getting CYA.

This is one thing I actually buy at Leslie's pool store since I believe it is twice as strong as that sold in the hardware store pool section. Although I do not recall the price.

Just wanted to point out there is a large difference in strength sometimes do have to be careful doing price comparisons.

Edit: just saw the last post basically said the same thing.
Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

XsAllOverIt said:
jasonknox,

Think you may have gotten your numbers wrong. I went to Home Depot last week and bought 2 gallons for $12.98. They come in a 2-pak. If you bought one gallon, my guess is they charged you for the 2-pak. They only sell them in 2-paks here in MD.

Your right, the prices I quoted were for 2 gallon packs. However they still went up $3.00 per two gallon pack.

If you're in the construction industry (which I'm not, but am fully aware), ALMOST all building materials have gone up at least 20% in the last 6 months. They say it's primarily due to the shipping costs, but everything has gone up. I've got a friend building a house and most of the materials that they had been quoted prior to building went up at least 20%. My guess is that would be the same reason for the muriatic acid.

My local Lowes charges $7.50/gal of 31.5% MA. I found an old fashioned hardware store that sells it for $5.25. I immediately purchased a case of 4-gallons. You have to ask the clerk for it because it's kept in the back warehouse. Don't assume they don't have it just cause you can't see it. :!:

Two days after I discovered the hardware store I found a similar store nearby that has MA for $4.50/gal. That's where I'll be getting my next case. If feels good to get a great deal and support a local mom & pop operation.

I must admit feeling a bit wierd purchasing large amounts of MA in bulk from country style hardware stores. I get the strangest looks sometimes even after I tell them it's for a swimming pool. Next time I go I'll ask them to ring me up for several hundred pounds of fertilizer too, just to see their reaction ... :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.