Algae under liner...Question

westc

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2011
Abilene, KS
So the pool company arrived and removed my old liner in prep for the new one... What a mess it is underneath! Algae all over and holes in the vermiculite. Any idea what causes this?? I thought algae needed sunlight to grow? The liner did have a seperation in it right about at the water line, so I know water has been getting under the liner there, but there is algae even growing on the slope where the water would've run down instead of sitting. Could this be from groundwater seeping up through?? The installer told me it is neccessary to get all the algae removed before the new liner goes in, otherwise it will take the print off the liner even though it is on the backside. This is VERY evident in the old liner; The print is gone off the old liner anywhere that there was algae underneath it. Is there any way to prevent this from happening if its groundwater seeping in causing the algae??

I've never seen the correlation between missing ink and algae under the liner. I've seen pools with green stuff (algae? mold?) under the liner, most of the time it doesn't come through. There are times though when a certain type will have a mirror image on both sides of the vinyl. Vinyl is actually permeable, it just takes time. For example a magic marker will eventually bleed through vinyl. I've seen a product that is designed to be painted onto the surface of the floor before the liner goes in to be a barrier to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

I don't know how long its been there, but its very obvious on the old liner that the pattern is completely gone wherever the stuff was underneath. Now we are having a heck of a time getting the base to dry out so it can be patched and skim coated before the new liner goes in.

I had some algae growth after one year when replacing a defective liner. Both before and after the replacement, I have had 1/4 foam as a barrier between liner and pool walls and absolutely no loss of liner print with either liner (second liner is now 6 years old).

I have no idea if that foam prevented what you experienced and I don't think anyone else has ever reported a loss of color from algae on the backside.

OK, Im back. last year a lot of issues holding chlorine. After testing, slamming, etc we thought we were done with the issue. Well the pool has been open about a month and I'm having same problems.

This time called the guy that opened the pool and he came out. My liner is 2 years old. Shortly after getting the line there was a cut (from the automatic pool cover) that caused some water to leak out. This year there's some growth on a seam. It cannot be brushed off. Pool guy told me that the algae was behind the liner and coming through the vinyl probably as a result of the tear that had been repaired.

My question is; does anyone know how to eliminate the issue besides replacing the liner? Has anyone ever taken the liner out of the track and treated with a powder or slurry algaecide? I keep hearing about Jack's magic. Is there anything we can do to eliminate issue or will it just come back?

I appreciate your feedback.

Readings:

FC 19
CC 0
PH 7.4
CYA 70

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.