Where do you store your muriatic acid?

May 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Okay so I'm in Texas and obviously it gets down right sweltering here in the summer. So where do you store muriatic acid that's safe for you and keeps the chemical in safe temperature climate? I honestly don't have any problem with the idea of just leaving the stuff outside, but I'm pretty sure it would build up some gases in the container before long right?

I keep mine in the garage, but it doesn't get as warm here in MN as it does in Texas.

You want to make sure you don't store it next to your bleach. I would think keeping it outside would be finel. I don't think acid is temperature sensitive like bleach is.

I figure I can store my bleach in the washroom since I have an extra cabinet in there for storage. I just really don't want the muriatic acid in the house if at all possible. An outside storage unit may not be a bad way to go though. I'm pretty sure outside in the shade has got to be cooler than the enclosed garage come mid-summer. What about a plastic ice chest with the water drain hole opened up for venting or I could even add a few more holes on the side for venting? Just thinking that might keep it well shaded, insulated and away from accidental human tampering.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah hubby and I were talking about it last night. I do think we'll get some sort of vented storage (even if it's just something I built) that we can lock. We don't have pets, but that doesn't mean there isn't the occasional stray cat or squirrels or whatever in the yard and then there's always the concern about the kids even though they should never ever be in the area. The pool equipment is in a separate side yard area from the pool and the rest of the yard.

Yeah hubby and I were talking about it last night. I do think we'll get some sort of vented storage (even if it's just something I built) that we can lock. We don't have pets, but that doesn't mean there isn't the occasional stray cat or squirrels or whatever in the yard and then there's always the concern about the kids even though they should never ever be in the area. The pool equipment is in a separate side yard area from the pool and the rest of the yard.

HCL boils at 230F so its ok to store outside. Hope this helps.

Be aware that the fumes which leak out through the cap will corrode anything metal. I use to store mine in the shed until I noticed the metal shelves near them started to corrode. Fortunately the power equipment in the shed wasn't damaged (yet). So I put the MA bottles in a plastic garbage can with a lid and located it outside the shed in the shade.

I would not store it anywhere equipment/vehicles could be damaged by the fumes.

PS - Jotting, I sent you a PM that may be helpful.

PPS - Oops....I just noticed the date on the original post....oh well...lol.

Agreed, too potentially dangerous to be indoors. I previously would store it in my garage with the caps sealed with black PVC pipe wrap tape and double bagged in heavy plastic. To annoying and I noticed a metal shelf nearby with some mild pitting corrosion. I decided I'd rather deal with hot swollen bottles outside then potentially risk damage inside. So now the entire 4-up of refillable jugs are stored outside in a back corner of my property where no one goes. Someday I'll get one of those resin Suncast sheds and store stuff in there

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.