CYA-Do I Really Need It As High As

Glock30

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Jason,
As you can see I have a SWG in 26+k pool.
According to the articles on this site and the pool calc. My CYA should be somwhere in the 75 range.
Am I reading this correctly?
Why so high?
I understand these reasons (from Pool School) "Second adjust CYA to between 70 and 80. The biggest mistake that many SWG owners make is NOT having enough CYA in the water! This can create a lot of problems like high acid demand, algae outbreaks, cloudy water, or early cell failure."
Just curious if there are other reasons based on the use of a SWG.
Thanks

If you don't have very much direct sunlight on the pool or have a pool cover that is at least somewhat opaque, then you wouldn't need the CYA to be high. However, if the pool is exposed to sunlight, then the higher CYA lowers the daily FC loss so that the saltwater chlorine generator doesn't have to be on as long (which makes it last longer and reduces the rate of pH rise from outgassing).

This is one of those things that really depends on your location and your pools location. Temperature, the amount of sunlight your pool gets during the day, and a whole bunch of other things factor in here. I live in southeast NY. My pools gets good sun for most of the day. I run my pump for 10 hours/day and set the SWCG at 35%. My CYA has never been above 40. This will consistently maintain a FC of 4-5. Keeping the CYA at the recommended 80 seems completely unnecessary to me. I think this recommendation is high to keep the "average" pool owner out of trouble. I always need to add CYA during the course of the swimming season due to splash out and pump out from heavy rains. I know I'll have to add, so I test accordingly. Most pool owners I know test the CYA infrequently (usually only at the beginning of the season), so if you start out at 80, there's a good chance you'll make the whole season without a problem. If you're willing to be vigilant about testing (which you should be anyway), I would experiment a little to see if you really need such high levels of stabilizer. My completely uneducated and ignorant rule of thumb is this...adjust your CYA to maintain proper FC levels with a SWCG setting of no greater than 45-50% assuming a pump run time of 10-12 hours. (single speed pump)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.