How much bleach to have on hand for first test?

May 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Okay so I'm a complete pool newbie owner.

We just bought a house and the prior owner decided to shut down the system before we moved in and I couldn't figure out how to get the pump running so it was clear with debris when we moved in
and then of course over the several days before I could get a pool guy out it turned and started growing algae but it never got cloudy..

anyways to make a long story short, I had a pool company come out and clean it and get it back up and running and everything looks fantastic except the couple of stains on the bottom that they insist will go away over time with proper care (yay for no permanent damage!).

I've been brushing daily, emptying skimmers probably every other day (the pool is really very clean and we don't have plants dropping stuff right now), and I switch back and forth between skimmers and pool vacuum based on where debris is in the pool is (or if any is even present).

My chemical test kit arrives tomorrow and is the Taylors K-2006 (probably overkill but it was on sale on amazon).

It's about a 10,000 gallon pool (might be a little more, but I'm estimating here - I'll do the serious math this weekend to get more precise).

Nice pentair whisper flow filter system - not sure on the HP but I'll figure that out this weekend too. It's running daily for 8 hours which the pool guy said would probably turn our pool close to 2 times per day and to keep it that way until the stains in the pool clear up.

It does have the chlorine tab container in the filter system which the pool guy said should use 2 tabs per week and to adjust the flow rate to make sure those fully dissolve within a week time period. I realize from reading on here that we don't want to stick with tabs, but that was probably good for us to start with since it took a couple days for the test kit to get shipped to us and for me to get my act together with all this.

So anyways, today I want to do a run to get chemicals so when I do my first test tomorrow afternoon I have the basics on hand to get going. So I'm going to go get bleach today instead of the pool tabs, and I'm wondering how many gallons I should have on hand for my first run.

I realize that how much I actually put in the pool will vary depending on readings, but should I be thinking 1-3 gallons of liquid bleach to have on hand or am I going to need way more than that?

Currently the water is clear, sparkly and blue tinted (yay!!).

Oh and I'm in Dallas, Texas so it's been mid 80's to upper 90's the last couple of weeks.

Sounds great! congrats on your new to you pool. How much bleach you need depends on how large your pool actually is. You can go to thepoolcalculator.com and enter the size of your pool and then assume you will need around 5 ppm of chlorine. you can put zero in the left side and 5 in the right side and it will tell you how much 6% bleach you will need. In this case it is 105 oz. (slightly under a gallon).

Im in austin and have been using about 3ppm per day. You probably dont want to go to the store every day so you will prob want to pick up enough for a week. 3ppm for 10K gallons is 62 oz so for a week that would be 434 oz/week. Costco is selling 3 182 oz jugs for 8.54 in austin (prob same as dallas). You will use about 3 of those a week based on 3ppm per day.

You might also want to get some muriatic acid in case the pH is too high.

I bought 3 cases (9 92 oz bottles)

Personally I would not invest in much acid until I knew the useage of either someone in the same area with the same water supply of through experience managing your own pool. It seems most pools need acid to maintain pH, some it is measured in gallons per week, others, like mine, and a gallon will last multiple years.

Ike

Excellent! We don't live near Costco unfortunately, but Home Depot across the way from us has a deal on germicidal bleach (5-10% concentration based on the MSDS sheet posted online) at the moment. My mom mentioned checking out janitorial supply companies for the bleach and baking soda if I need it (and possibly borax). Has anyone else done this? Maybe I can just sign up for routine delivery once I get a good feel for how much how often. I'll pick up a bottle of the acid too since they have that at Home Depot also and see how quickly I go through that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.