Test results - feedback?

Mar 31, 2012
So - first time pool owner. Opened a few weeks ago to clear water but a 110 CYA which would be impossible to maintain. Removed all pucks a week or so ago and will be doing BBB.

Replaced about 20" of water this weekend, ad started up the pump this am. After 2 hours of pump time, here are my results

FC - 7
CC - .5
CYA 60
TA - 90
temp 59

Didn't run CH, had to get to work and was already late.

Water is clear, but a bit dirty from water drain/refill process over the weekend. Will vacuum tonight.

The pool calc says add borax, which I'll do tonight as well. Anything else I should do?

Would ultimately like to install a SWG in ye next 30 days. Should I leave CYA at 60?

TIA,
Brian

If you're putting a SWG in then I'd run with your CYA as it is. You'll use some extra chlorine, but the savings don't justify the extra work and cost. I'd try the OCLT with a reading of .5cc as you MAY have something thinking of living in the water. Odds say is nothing and your numbers look good, but a .5 reading always is a red flag to me.

Yes, leave the CYA at 60 for now. If you get a SWG you can raise it, and if not it will come down slowly on it's own (due to backwashing and splash out).

Your numbers look good. With a vinyl pool you just want to check that CH isn't too higher. Low CH is fine. If CC goes up that could be a problem, but you can ignore it at 0.5 or lower.

Leebo, you actually use less chlorine at higher CYA levels. The down side is that high CYA levels make things more difficult if/when you get algae.

JasonLion said:
Leebo, you actually use less chlorine at higher CYA levels. The down side is that high CYA levels make things more difficult if/when you get algae.

Whoops....I was thinking of him in a small need of shocking the pool when I misspoke. Jason's correct bdpeter....you'll use less with a higher CYA level. Either way...your numbers look good and you're ready to swim. :D

awesome, thanks guys. It's surprising that now that my CYA is down 40% that I don't notice the chlorine smell as much around the pool.

Going to do the OCLT test the next few days and monitor it.

duraleigh said:
You didn't post your pH but assume I it is between 7.2 - 7.8.

yes, sorry. It came in around 7.5. I'm still getting used to telling the difference between the shades of red/yellow/purple. I must hold that test kit up to the light about 20 times before I settle on which one it matches!

tested again tonight, and included CH

FC - 7.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.2
TA - 80
CH - 90
did not test CYA

is my CH too low?

Will check FC and PH levels again tomorrow to see what i'm losing, if anything overnight.

thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.