RayPak 2100. The Mice ate It, and not my homework!

gglmn

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 5, 2007
My unit fired up and was working fine until.... I went out today and the display was blank. I shut off the cb and opended it up to find mice had built a nest in the wiring box and chewed all the wires shorting out the circuit. I tried just cutting and splicing the wire, but it's still dead. I'll put a meter to the transformer tomorrow to see if I am getting 24volts, I have a 240v system. If I have power, I would guess the main circuit board is fried. I can fine a board online, but not the tranformer. Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you checked all the fuses? (I'm sure you have but I have to ask.)

Are there any markings on the transformer? If there is we may be able to find a replacement. Even the voltage and amps or VA would help.

Check your splices, as I'm dealing with this issue right now. I had mice eat up a board a couple years ago, and had to splice. You're dealing with super tiny wires that carry very small amounts of current. If those splices aren't near perfect, you'll have problems. I just had to replace the grounding wires that were previously spliced, and had worked themselves loose.

If you get it working again, throw some D-Con in there this winter. I take my circuit board out of the heater completely when I winterize.

And I'd guess that the transformer should be readily available at an electrical supply company. 24V is fairly standard for all sorts of applications.....will just depend on amperage, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.