Weird rain

MomUv5

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2010
Memphis, TN area
Last night we had a very heavy rain. I woke up to an overly full pool and the water had turned brown. But that's not why I'm posting.

I had left a 2 qt. plastic pitcher on the pool deck, and it had several inches of rainwater in it. The water was visibly brown which I found surprising. I decided to conduct a small experiment on it, so I added a little bit of Chlorox to see if it would clear the brown color. I assumed that there was some kind of algae that had come in with the rain. Instead, adding bleach made the water a deeper brown.

I have had serious problems with metal staining and brown water in my pool which were cleared up by doing an AA treatment a week ago. Is there any chance that some of the metal is coming from rain water?

There is certainly a chance, but it seems pretty unlikely. Evaporation won't carry any metal with it, so rain starts pure. Of course it then mixed with airborne dust, which could in theory contain iron, but I have trouble imagining where enough iron would come from to give the effects you describe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.