can't get a CH result with tf100

Richmondtree

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 9, 2012
Richmond, Virginia
I have tried 6 times and can't get the sample to turn blue. I have tried using two drops of 12 before 11 and doing the normal order but I can't seem to get a result. What I do seem to get is a pinkish precipitate at about the level I might expect a CH result, around 260 where the pool store got it about a month ago. Does anyone have any suggestions? These are my other values.

FC 4
CC 0
Ph 7.5
TA 90
borates 50
CYA 35
temp. 74 deg. F

I mixed between every drop and at this point can't think what I might have done wrong.

thanks.

Argh.

I tried the extended instructions, even with the distilled water dilution.

I still I can't get the sample to turn blue. I'm at a total loss for what I could be doing wrong. I have read the instructions fifty times, swirled diligently and observed after every drop of reagent.

At this point my variables could be: 1. me 2: reagent problem. 3. pool water issue. Have you seen anybody else with this problem? What did they do?

I'm feeling very unscientific now.

CaOCl2 said:
Try testing tap water. What color is the R-0011-L?
Richmondtree said:
it is pink
That might be your problem...from the extended directions:
R-0011L is calcium indicator, an organic dye used to provide the red/blue color. It should be a deep blue color. If the dye stains the plastic bottle it is stored in, it has gone bad.

actually I meant that the tap water turned pink when exposed to R-0011L. the reagent itself is purple and does not stain the bottle.

I can easily test tap water and get CH of 80. So at least now I know what a test result is supposed to look like.

sorry if I was confusing.

You might have copper in the water, which will interfere with the test. Try adding 10 drops of R-0012 first (swirl well), then 20 drops of R-0010, then 5 drops of R-0011, then start counting the drops of R-0012 to change the color from red to blue. Add the initial 10 drops of R-0012 to get the total number of drops of R-0012 needed to change the color from red to blue.

You can dilute 1:1 with distilled water and do the above-modified procedure if you still can't get a good result.

General Test Interferences:
Calcium Hardness Test [updated 3/10/10]
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... ber=K-2006

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tried adding the 10 drops of R-0012 first and doing the dilution. Still no change to blue, although there is a slight purpling of the sample. I would think I was doing something wrong except I easily tested the tap water. The pool was re plastered two months ago, I can't imagine what is interfering.

Richmondtree, my problem is similar, but I use a Speedstir and it helps to see the change. The initial color is very very faint and so is the color change. But the light on the Speedstir helps to see the color change. My solutions are very new--I just ordered new refills a couple of months ago--so I don't think that is the problem.

Hey HouTex!

thanks for the reply. Glad to know that I am not the only one. I think I will get a stir bar. I'll let y'all know how that turns out. Cheers

JamesW,

Yeah I suspect that I could have those things in my pool. Do most pool stores test for copper,iron,manganese? What will I do with that information if it turns out that I do have significant quantities?

Pool stores can check for all, or most, of those. If there are some that they can't test for, you could probably find a local water treatment/conditioner company that can.

I think that copper is most likely the cause, but I would like to see the other results as well. It depends on the test results as far as what they might mean, and/or what could be done about it.

It's possible that the test results wouldn't reveal any information that would lead to definite conclusions as to what might be interfering.

I am having the same issue. I purchased the tf100 CH test spring 2011. The test worked fine last summer. Tried it this spring and get no test result. No color change at all after adding R-0010 and R-0011L. I tried the test on tap water with exact same result. Adding the drops of R-0012 first did not help either. I just ordered all new refills thinking the test may be bad.

auduncan said:
I am having the same issue. I purchased the tf100 CH test spring 2011. The test worked fine last summer. Tried it this spring and get no test result. No color change at all after adding R-0010 and R-0011L. I tried the test on tap water with exact same result. Adding the drops of R-0012 first did not help either. I just ordered all new refills thinking the test may be bad.

I have the same exact problem and got the kit at the same time. I wasn't too concerned about it since I have a vinyl liner.

I can't track the lot number because the TF kits are repackaged.

Dave should identify his reagents with a lot number - makes traceability easier and you would be able to contact him to see if the reagents are fresh, usable, or needs replacing. It's also easier to manage in case of recalls etc.
Being just onery enough to run my business the way I see best, if anyone has an issue with any reagents purchased from me within the last year (that's Taylor's criterium) please let me know and I'll replace it regardless of the lot number or regardless what reagent it is. That should about cover it without a lot of complication.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.