No DE Filter Bump Handle Resistance??

SB1417

May 7, 2012
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if someone could provide some help with my DE filter. Its a Hayward EC-65 and I've owned the pool for about 6 years now. I recently opened my pool, got all the equipment running, balanced the water, and after a few days its relatively clear after starting with a green pool.

Here's my issue. Every year since I owned the pool, when I would bump my DE filter, there would always be some resistance to the handle. This year, there is no resistance at all. I've checked the upper and lower c-clips and the thrust washers. All are intact. Before I opened this year, I replaced the lower plate that the filter fingers go through due to the old one being cracked.

Also, when I start the pump, the bump handle doesn't raise up like it use to. Its almost like there's no pressure in the filter, but there's definetely pressure. Everything seems to be working fine except not having any resistance to the bump handle has got my stumped. I know the filter is working because the pool was green a few days ago and now its practically clear after a few days.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

So I took the filter apart again to see if I missed anything. I'm not sure if the top c-clip and thrust washer is in the proper place. For the lower c-clip, there's a notch on the metal shaft where the c-clip defintely fits. But I didn't see a notch in the shaft for the top c-clip. IS there one? I've looked at the official hayward diagrams for the filter but it's not helping me much.

I have an EC75 that I will be replacing in the next few days thanks to idiots that were replacing the roof taking it upon themselves to clean the filter. When I do I will inspect the old one to see.

Ike

hayward_perfelx_ec65_ec75_bump_shaft_ecx1110.jpg

Is this the part you're questioning?? If so then yes there is a grove for both the upper and lower C-clip.

Leebo said:
hayward_perfelx_ec65_ec75_bump_shaft_ecx1110.jpg

Is this the part you're questioning?? If so then yes there is a grove for both the upper and lower C-clip.

This sure looks like the metal shaft in my filter. But I couldn't find a groove for the upper c-clip. Maybe I didn't put something back together properly when i replaced the bottom tube sheet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.