Trying to get seasonal pool up and running - a CYA question

Jun 10, 2011
After filling our pool, I added CYA granules and bleach (my first mistake was not reading the documentation on this site that said I could get going with shock, which would provide my CYA and chlorine). Anyway, I used test strips (I know, another mistake). This proves their unreliability. The strips continually said that I had 0 CYA, so I eventually added the entire bottle. I finally took a sample to the closest pool store (25 miles away) and my test results showed a CYA level of 77 and a FC level of 10. According to the chart, the chlorine is within acceptable range, but my question: is this still considered too high for the CYA? I don't want to have to drain any water, but I'm willing to do so to get this right.

I also plan to get a good test kit as soon as possible.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the rookie mistakes. I'll learn soon enough...

Re: Trying to get seasonal pool up and running - a CYA quest

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Granular CYA can take up to a week to register on your test. How long ago did you add the CYA? If your CYA is really 77, that is too high (assuming you don't have a SWCG). You would be better off in the 30-50 range.

Also, pool store results tend to be unreliable. If possible, get yourself a good test kit..like the TF-100 from tftestkits.net

Posting current *accurate* readings will be key to us helping you.

Pool School and the Pool Calculator will be your best friends!

I began adding the CYA when the pool was about halfway full, which was Saturday morning. I can only assume that if the 77 I got from the pool store is accurate, it will be even higher after a week. I've got a test kit; it's a decent one, but not one of the ones recommended here, and it doesn't test for CYA. Would I be ok in using the CYA only test until I use up my other kit and then buying a good one like the TF100?

copprtop97 said:
I've got a test kit; it's a decent one, but not one of the ones recommended here, and it doesn't test for CYA. Would I be ok in using the CYA only test until I use up my other kit and then buying a good one like the TF100?
Do you mean use only the pool store's CYA reading? It is really not ideal. TFTestkits has really fast shipping. It only me took 2 days to get kit even though I am across the country!

This is an Intex Easy Set pool. We take it down each winter. Yesterday I drained about 1/3 of the water and refilled. I'm waiting to have it retested until later this week, just to make sure all of the cya has dissolved. In the meantime, I'm keeping the chlorine level up to prevent algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.