Pool Balanced but still have Green Algae

momtaps

Bronze Supporter
Oct 8, 2011
Kingwood, Texas
I tested the pool on Friday - everything was all in balance. Why do I still get green algae on the north facing wall of my pool? I've cleaned my cartridge filter twice this month hoping that would help. I keep it brushed off as soon as I see it. I have natural rock that touches the water on that side of the pool. Could there be some sort of algae that is seeping out of the rocks? The green starts at the surface of the water then grows downward. Water is crystal clear and beautiful. I'm using the last of my tri-clor tablets then going to the bleach method.

FC 2
TC 2
CC 0
TA 130
ph 7.8
CYA 35
CH 420

Thanks!

To my inexperienced eye, I'd wager it's because you don't have enough chlorine to kill off existing algae.

I suggest:

Shock the pool according to the directions here.

I'd also advise a higher post-shock FC level, in the 4-5 range, as suggested here.

=======

By all means, chime in experts if I've missed anything, or misled the OP!

It's definitely because you don't have enough chlorine.

Is it growing on the shady side of the pool? If so it's probably mustard algae. :-(
Is that an area of poor circulation?

Have you ran an OCLT (see sig if you don't know what that is)?

The instructions for shocking the pool says to add some chlorine until you reach the shock level (which according to the chart I am aiming for a 16). How much is "some?" Should I start with 1 gallon, 5 gallons? etc. I tried to use the pool calculator - entered the current FC at 2 and goal at 16, but when I hit the calculate button, nothing happens. I have searched the board looking for this answer but can't find a clue as to how much to start with. Help!
My test kit is the leslies total poolcare DPD Test Kit. They didn't have the recommended one. I need to order it.
Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, I got my new test kit TF100 in the mail today and began the process of shocking my pool. According to the pool calculator, with today's test results, I needed to add 2.1 jugs of bleach to raise the FC from 5 to 16. I did this, waited an hour, and tested again. I am at 20.5 now! Is that OK? I am shocking because of algae.

CYA 40
FC 5 (before shocking with chlorox 6%)
CC 0
TC 5
TA 80
ph 7.5

momtaps said:
OK, I got my new test kit TF100 in the mail today
:goodjob:
momtaps said:
According to the pool calculator, with today's test results, I needed to add 2.1 jugs of bleach to raise the FC from 5 to 16. I did this, waited an hour, and tested again. I am at 20.5 now! Is that OK?
That is fine. How sure are you of your pool volume?

momtaps said:
CYA 40
FC 5 (before shocking with chlorox 6%)
CC 0
TC 5
TA 80
ph 7.5
The rest of you numbers look good! Have you measured CH yet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.