Need some input on my green monster..........

Update: For what it's worth I had the pool store check the water this afternoon to get a new CYA level after the refill. I was perplexed to see that it checks at the exact same level as it was prior to the refill - 151.

Makes no sense. But I'm guessing that their test is inaccurate - can't see any way that the level would be the same with that much new water.

I'm thinking that I should add some bleach though to keep my bleach level up until I can do my own conclusive testing sometime late next week?

Currently the water is green but a less intense green than before the partial drain and refill. I'm continuing to run the filter 24/7 with the Baracuda circulating as well.

Any thoughts or input?

The difference between the pic I posted earlier in the thread and the one I just posted is night and day! Count me in as a converted BBB'r and a STRONG believer in the appropriate tools (like the right test kit - THANK YOU, you know who you are).

My water has been clean and blue before, but has never looked like this! I absolutely appreciate the comments and the feedback in this thread - you people rock!

Good work Cat!

I just read this thread from beginning to end and want to say, I like your attitude. You came to an Internet forum, stated your problem, accepted what perfect strangers told you, stayed calm even when they said to drain half your pool, and 10 days later you have a show piece. That takes a lot of faith and trust.

And good work TFP members!

Now, not meaning to highjack the thread, but acronyms turned up that I'm not familiar with. What means POP, ETA, X2?

AnnaK

Hi, Anna,

I can help with two of them:

X2 - isn't an acronym but rather he was just saying that he originally thought one person posted before him and suddenly there were two post so he acknowledged that saying ""X2" or "times two".

POP - is a wonderful acronym that came over from PF and, I believe, originally coined by Ben Powell. It's "Pool Owner Patience" and can be applied to a variety of situations but primarily refers to having the patience you need when clearing a green, neglected pool.

After you do the testing, put in the chlorine, turn on the pump, etc. you then take a big dose of POP because it often takes a week or so to get your pool clean. As you will see this Summer, there will be posters who want months of neglect to be resolved in 24 hours.......they really need POP but usually go to the pool store to purchase the "magic bullet" that will solve all their problems. Ooops, I digress....

ETA - I didn't see it in the thread but military and aviation folks use it a lot for Estimated Time of Arrival......don't know if that was the case here or not.

Anna, I had an opportunity to explore your website about your pool and all the things you've done yourselves. Solar covar, skimmer access, etc. Wow! ya'll are very clever and your workmanship is really nice. I hope you'll keep referring folks over there.....ya'll have a lot of good ideas from which members can benefit. Your computer skills in putting it all together are very impressive as well. One of the most pleasant sites I've visited.......very helpful. Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow Dave, thank you very much for your nice comments about my Web site and various inventions. Praise like that is what keeps dogs wanting to work harder. People, too :)

I appreciate the education in acronyms. Here's one we use in the dog world: PPO. Paranoid Puppy Owner. Guess that one would work for pool owners as well, especially for the PPO who needs POP X2.

Ok, I go now.

AnnaK

AnnaK - thank you for the positive feedback. But I have to say it wasn't difficult to trust and follow the instructions from the people who posted in this thread. I had spent a lot of time reading stickies and other threads in this forum before I posted mine and it was clear that not only did this group know what they were talking about but they were also the friendliest, most supportive bunch I've been exposed to.

I went from green to clean in about 10 days and the best thing about it was not having to pay the pool store's rent by purchasing tons of chemicals. I also learned so much in the process - I have a much better grasp on how to actually manage my pool rather than depend on misguided directions from pool stores. Now the plan is to continue reading the boards and learning, then one day I just may be smart enough to help someone else out!

I sat poolside this afternoon with an adult beverage in my hand and a smile on my face - Thanks TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.