1st Test After Installation

Mar 30, 2008
Irmo, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, I just got back from getting my water tested at the pool store. The results are as follows:
Water Temp: 62Degrees F
Saturation Index: -2.1
TDS:100
CYA:0
Total Chlorine:0.2
Free Chlorine:0
pH:6.7
Total Alkalinity:27
Adjusted Total Alkalinity:27
Total Hardness:59
Optimizer +: 7 ( Don't know what this is)

We have an AGP 15 x 26 x 52 with 200 sq. ft. Cartridge filter, 2.5 HP DS Pump. So My next question is where to go from here. Thanks in advance, Calvin.

Your pool would probably hold about 11,500 gallons

Chlorine first. 300oz of 6% bleach will get you to shock level. Hold it there for a day or two, which might take some effort since you don't have any CYA.

Get about 2lbs of CYA in an old sock hung in front of a return. It may take as long as a week to dissolve.

Add 21oz by volume of washing soda or 46oz by volume of borax to get your pH moving up

You'll also want to add some baking soda soon to raise your TA.

All of these amounts can be figured from Jason's pool calculator at poolcalculator.com.

The most important thing to do is to get a good test kit. A Taylor K2006 is fine, but you can buy one from Duraleigh at TFTestkits.com that is a good one and you can get testing help from him on here.

When you add chemicals, plan to undershoot by a fair margin so you don't end up going back and forth from too low to too high.

Crazy, welcome to TFP (your name has mine beat in terms of 'lack of trust' when giving advice :lol: )

John is giving you good advice! I'd say take care of the chlorine and pH first!!! They can be done at the same time. If you go with the 'washing soda' it will also bring up the TA (at pool stores it's called pH up or soda ash). From your posted #s - the only chlorine you have in the pool is combined, and therefore can't do 'diddley' to sanitize the pool - so defenatly get some good chlorine in ASAP. The low pH is harming the liner so, again - get that up over 7.0 ASAP!

We'll get you to a 'trouble free pool' - just stick with us! :-D

[Getting a GOOD test kit will help you in more ways than I can describe!!! - Look at the TF- 100 or ask us and we'll point you towards a good kit so you can do your own testing (the #s you give 'smack' of a pool store's results - your own tests would be better)]

Thanks for all of the answers. I am gathering up the chemicals now and getting ready to set the plan into action. I will let you know how things turn out and ask any questions, if I have them. Thanks again, Calvin.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.