How long can a Pool go without adding Chlorine ?

Jul 24, 2011
I just want to throw this one out there ...... I'd like to hear your opinions and responses. OK, say if one has a plaster pool , 10,000 gallons. The pool is in balance and is in mostly sun. If one keeps the CYA level around 30-50 ppm. On Friday I have added enough 12% liquid chlorine to bring the FC level to 4.0ppm . Will the pool survive one week until more chlorine can be added ? I'm not a big fan of tabs! I have been told they can ruin a heater as well as, they constantly add CYA to the pool . What do Pool service guys do if they only service once a week ? Opinions Please ! Thank you in advance .

PVpools said:
I just want to throw this one out there ...... I'd like to hear your opinions and responses. OK, say if one has a plaster pool , 10,000 gallons. The pool is in balance and is in mostly sun. If one keeps the CYA level around 30-50 ppm. On Friday I have added enough 12% liquid chlorine to bring the FC level to 4.0ppm . Will the pool survive one week until more chlorine can be added ? I'm not a big fan of tabs! I have been told they can ruin a heater as well as, they constantly add CYA to the pool . What do Pool service guys do if they only service once a week ? Opinions Please ! Thank you in advance .

A few years ago I went to Vegas for a week. Didnt have any CYA in the pool. It was probably a 3 FC or so when I left.
When I got home, my pool was very green.

BTW, why would chlorine tabs harm a heater? I dont think that is an accurate statement.

mitch08 said:
BTW, why would chlorine tabs harm a heater? I dont think that is an accurate statement.
It is low PH that can damage a heater. A fair number of people using tabs ignore the PH. Since the tabs are acidic, the PH goes down, eventually getting very very low, and the heater is damaged.

It is also possible for a heater to be damaged by a tablet feeder that is placed too close to the heater without a check valve. In that case water with very low PH from inside the tablet feeder can sometimes migrate back towards the heater while the pump is off, eventually causing damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.