Mar 22, 2008
Here are my readings:

FC 1.5
CC 0
TC 1.5
pH 7.8
T/A 130
CH 470

Okay, here are my questions if I am going to be doing this myself instead of the pool store.

I know I need to add Acid to bring the pH down. I haven't had to add Chlorine for over 2 weeks, we have used the pool a few times already too and there is always leaves and Crud in there. This is the first time I have owned a pool, does it makes sense that my Chlorine level has been about the same for a couple of weeks?

I have to add acid every single week, is this because my T/A is a little high? How do you bring the T/A down? or don't I worry about it?

the CH level is very high I know, pool store told me that in Las Vegas the CH will always be very high since our water is extremely hard, they told me not to worry about it, is that true?

Unless I get advice otherwise with these readings all I am adding is pH right?

nitz369 said:
Here are my readings:

FC 1.5
CC 0
TC 1.5
pH 7.8
T/A 130
CH 470

Okay, here are my questions if I am going to be doing this myself instead of the pool store.

I know I need to add Acid to bring the pH down.Yeah, a little....somewhere around 7.2 - 7.4 I haven't had to add Chlorine for over 2 weeks, we have used the pool a few times already too and there is always leaves and Crud in there. Do you have a vacuum? This is the first time I have owned a pool, does it makes sense that my Chlorine level has been about the same for a couple of weeks? Not really. You should be losing 1-2ppm daily

I have to add acid every single week, is this because my T/A is a little high? How do you bring the T/A down? or don't I worry about it? Some pools, including mine, constantly go up in pH a little....I just keep it under control with acid

the CH level is very high I know, pool store told me that in Las Vegas the CH will always be very high since our water is extremely hard, they told me not to worry about it, is that true?Test the Ch of your fill water to see if you can lower it by draining a little and refilling. It's not outrageous but don't let your pH go any higher or you may start to precipitate some calcium.....(cloudy water and scaling)

Unless I get advice otherwise with these readings all I am adding is pH right?
What's your CYA level? That's very important

Yes I have a vaccuum and I use it. What I meant by the leaves is I have to go pick them out daily right now. I thought just them being in there for a little bit would lower the chlorine levels.

I have some bags of shock left that I was going to use before I switch to BBB but what should the cholrine level be? I mean if I let it go another few days and test again and it is similar should I do anything? I always thought it should be between 1-3ppm right?

For the Hardness, I know the pool stores sell stuff that brings the hardness level down should I try anything like that?

oops forgot to say CYA level, I didn't test because you can only do a few tests with the kit right? When I was at the pool store a week ago it was 58. Can I just trust that number for awhile? how often should I test CYA?

If you have the TF-100, there are at least 13 CYA tests. If you test 3-5 times yearly, that should be sufficient. I would be reluctant to trust the pool store reading. The 58 tells me it's a computer analysis which are infamous for being very innaccurate. Go ahead and do the test yourself.....if you get the same result (or close) you're good to go. If you get something different, you need to know that and your reading will almost always be the accurate one.

There is nothing practical that will reduce your CH except to drain some water and refill. My suggestion would be to leave CH alone and carefully watch that pH stays in the mid 7's.

Something is amiss if your chlorine has remained stable for 2 weeks. Again, you should be experiencing a 1-2ppm loss daily. I'm pretty sure your Cl is lowering but I can't tell you why it's not showing that trend on your tests.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.