So I think I have a drainage issue... (Woke up to a swamp)

Vinoveritas

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2011
Austin, Texas
So the pool has looked awesome this month. Sparkling water, easy maintenance, pure joy. We had a party last night with a ton of kids and adults and I expected to be dealing with increasing the FC level significantly to deal with the swimmer load. We also had about 1.5-2" of rain in the wee hours of the morning. That was enough to overflow our rain gutters, which poured directly into a flower bed, that emptied right into the pool. :hammer:

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1007-1.jpg

I've got the pump running on high and treating with a shock level of bleach. I assume I should vacuum but it is so cloudy I can't see anything. I am going to also assume that the particulate matter in the pool as skewed the CYA test since it was 60 2 days ago and now measures 100 with no additions.

FC-0
pH-7.6
TA-100
CH-200
CYA-60 (or 100 if today's test is correct)

Re: So I think I have a drainage issue... (Woke up to a swam

I would still vacuum on waste. I just guess where I am vacumming and anything is better than nothing in getting the sludge removed from the bottom of the pool. Just my 2 cents.

The shock level of bleach has gone to zero......bring it back up. Shocking the pool is a process that will take time and you will need to add bleach several more times to do it correctly.

I doubt that the water is turbid enough to have much influence on your CYA test....what have you been chlorinating with?

Do you have solid matter in the bottom of the pool? I don't see any on the steps.

Unless it continues to rain, you should be able to have everything more or less back to normal by this evening.

The water doesn't look cloudy enough to disrupt the CYA test. One way to double-check is to fill the CYA view tube with all pool water. If the black dot is still clearly visible then the water is not interfering with the test. It is more likely that the test is reading higher because you don't have bright sunlight to read the results by. Darker lighting can result in higher than actual results.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I went ahead and vacuumed, went to a movie and by the time we got back, it cleared up considerably. There was some grit in the pump basket but nowhere near as much as I thought I would find. I vacuumed again just before taking the picture below and drained about an inch from the pool since it was to the top of the skimmer. CYA was 70 with my back to bright sunlight. What I don't get is my FC readings. This morning, it was 0. I added 587 oz of Clorox which for my 15750 pool should have put my around 18. After the movie, I tested and it was 31! The only way for that to happen is for my pool to be much smaller than pool studio estimated, my FC was actually much higher but I hit a pocket of rainwater which had no FC in it, (I had tried to get it up to 12 in anticipation of 10 kids being in the pool yesterday), or some combination of both.

Anyway, it is almost as good looking as it was yesterday and this morning, the spa looked like someone had poured gallons of red wine into it. Amazing what a DE filter can do! One more question, since I am shocking, I plan on running the filter until I pass the overnight FC loss test. Is low speed fine for this or do I need more water movement with high speed?

12 hours ago
IMG_1008.jpg

30 minutes ago
IMG_1009.jpg

I love this place! Incoming sponsorship!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.