Indentation in AGP floor

gboulton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
Nashville, TN
High gang.

Rather disturbing finding today.

Between the skimmer and single eyeball return (approx a 3-4' distance between the two), about 18-24" in from the wall, a small indentation has appeared in the floor of our new (less than a month old) pool.

The indentation is about 2-3" deep, more or less oval in shape, probably the size of a softball or so. The liner has settled into it and formed right up to it, no wrinkles or anything. I looked and felt around, no tears or anything I can feel or see, and water level hasn't changed (other than as described below).

Yesterday, after vacuuming the pool, I lost siphon on the skimmer, and had to bleed air from the basket in front of the pump, by releasing the plastic lid on top, and then locking it back down. The O-Ring wouldn't seal back up well for me, and by the time I could get everything sorted out, and get the lid back on correctly, I'd lost maybe 3/4" of water from the pool.

Obviously, the great O-Ring disaster of 2012 occurred right by where this indentation has happened.

I'm presuming, given how new things are, that some backfill just hadn't settled completely, and the water eroded some away, allowing a bit of a collapse under the pool. I didn't find any obvious holes or soft spots out there, even after pulling a bit of dirt away and probing with my hands. Never the less, I pulled stuff away for 3-4' around the out of the pool, down about 4" or so, packed everything down again, and brought another couple wheelbarrows full of dirt into the area, building up a good "ramp" away from the pool edge.

So...questions:

Is there anything else I can or should do at this point?

Is our liner already doomed, or are we simply going to have a small little dent there forever more?

Anything in particular I should be looking for that would be indicative of larger problems? If so, what would the correct response be if I see them?

There isn't anything you can do at this point unless you feel like draining the pool.

As long as the depression has fairly smooth sides (no sharp edges) everything should be fine (aside from the bottom not being flat).

If this only happens in one spot, I wouldn't worry about it. If it starts happening repeatedly, it might be animal burrows collapsing in or unstable soil washing out, any you might well have to do something about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.