TEST RESULTS TEST RESULTS TEST RESULTS

May 1, 2012
South Carolina
Neewbie here, love the site.

Just turned on the pump, pool has been sitting uncovered since October 2011. Color is nice swamp green with bugs swimming in it and frogs croaking at night. Gonna use the BBB this year. The pool calculator say I should add baking soda and muriatic acid.

FC 0
PH 8.2
TA 40
CYA 0

Thanks

Like he said, read pool school, personally I would start off by investing in about 10 pounds of Di-Chlor based powered chlorine (often sold as "shock" although not all shock products are di-chlor, read the ingredients list), then switch to bleach when it s used up (not all at once) to continue shocking until the water is clear (note shock is a verb not a noun). The Di-Clhor will add Chlorine as well as some CYA and will lower the pH a little , all things you need to do to balance right now, and a 1 pound bag of Di-Chlor has the same amount of effective Chlorine as a couple of jugs of bleach so it is a lot lighter to carry. We generally do not suggest using Di-Chlor or Tri-Chlor on a long term basis around here as it will let your CYA levels get to unmanageable levels very fast. You will also need a good test kit like the TF-100 kit from TFTestkits to maintain your pool.

anyway go read, and post questions as you go along, we will gladly talk you through things

Ike

Lawdog,

Hold on for a bit. Your very first step is to bring up the TA to around 100.....use baking soda. Then lower your pH down into the mid 7's.....use muriatic acid. Please do both of those steps first and they can be done one right after another. Then you are ready for the shock process of clearing the pool with chlorine.

Now you can go get bleach to shock your pool and CYA to protect the bleach from the sun. I would suggest putting in enough CYA to get to 20ppm. The suggested shock value for a CYA of 20ppm is about 10-12ppm. Post back with questions.

Got everything balanced last night then hit it with clorox at noon today. I brushed the pool and it now is a light blue within an hour. Starting to look nice. I used to throw a few bags of shock in it and went in the house and wondered why it took so long to clear up. This time I plan on testing and staying on top of it all day. My daughter is already bugging me to get in it. What is a safe level of CL before you swim?

Thanks for all the advice.

Good job! I would be testing about every 2 hours (FC & PH) until it starts to hold the FC for that long. Then increase the time of testing accordingly. Remember you are running the pump 24/7 during the shocking process. Doing the BBB method as long as the PH is kept where you have it you can swim during shocking procedure. Just remember though with a high bather load FC is going to be eaten up, so you need to use more bleach after the swim because you will see a drop in FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.