First water test

May 5, 2012
For the last 2 years I have been ready to pull my hair out over this pool, and the constant algae problems. I have just found this site and have done some reading, but am still very new and very tired of pool ownership. I have obtained a new pool test kit (Leslie Total Poolcare DPD Test Kit).

FC - 5
CC - 0
PH - 7.2
TA - 50
CH - 240
CYA - 30

I am currently using Tri-clor tablets in my chlorine feeder, and Cal-Hypo shock. I briefly tried the Bleach for chlorine, but with this much water full of algae, I gave up because of the lugging of the bottles. I am willing to try again after I get the water balanced.

With my chlorine this high, I am currenty having an algae problem, the water so cloudy I can barely see the drains in the deep end, and green algae appears daily in a few places. Where should I start?

Welcome to the forum. :lol: I would start by reading ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry up in Pool School. Then, read "How to Shock your Pool in Pool School also.

To get your pool clear, you must follow that "How to shock....." article very carefully and your pool will clear. Look at the FC/CYA relationship chart to get the correct dosage of chlorine...it is much higher than you think. It is a process that will take some days....not one dose but it will clear your pool. We will help every step of the way if you need it.

I have added the 3.4 182 oz. jugs of bleach to hopefully get my FC up to 12, I'll check in a couple hours.

Should I also add the baking soda to start getting the TA up to normal, or wait till the shock process is done?

The shock is working well, almost passed the OCLT last night, only lost about 2 FC which is better.

I am starting to see lots of dead algae settling to the bottom, and wondered if I should vacuum this out before brushing, and if I do, can I vacuum it through the filter, or should I send it to waste?

I have also begun working on getting the TA up.

Latest Test Results
FC - 10
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
TA - 80
CH - didn't test this time
CYA - didn't test this time

TxDozerMan said:
I am starting to see lots of dead algae settling to the bottom, and wondered if I should vacuum this out before brushing, and if I do, can I vacuum it through the filter, or should I send it to waste?
Either one. Keep an eye on your pressure if you vac to filter. Once your filter gets a 25% increase over clean filter psi reading, time to backwash.

I have also begun working on getting the TA up.
Your TA of 80 is perfect. The only reason you would want to raise it is if you are going to use pucks for clorination.

Latest Test Results
FC - 10
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
TA - 80
CH - didn't test this time
CYA - didn't test this time

Last night at 10PM these were the results:

FC - 10
CC - 0
TC - 10
PH - 7.5
TA - 100
CH - did not test
CYA - 30

This morning at 7AM these were the results:
FC - 6
CC - 0
TC - 6
PH - 7.5

With these numbers there is algae actively growing, I can see it on the pool floor in the corners and on the water returns. I am attaching a coulple of pictures of the algae on the water returns, is this possibly mustard algae? It does not look green any more. It looks like the brown color that the dead algae turns to when it settles on the bottom.

I have shocked more this morning and the current results are 11:30 AM:

FC - 12.5 ( it was between 2 and 3 on the 5x test)
CC - 0
TC - 12.5
PH - 8.0 (between 7.8 and 8.2)

Should I increase my target FC number? I have already gone through about 30 jugs of bleach and 100 lbs of shock since February, this is getting really expensive.

EDIT:
I took my water to Leslie Pools to get a water test, just to double check my numbers and this is what they get (1:00 PM):

Free Available Chlorine - 5 (he said 5 is as high as his test goes)
Total Available Chlorine - 5
PH - 7.8
TA - 90
CYA - 50
Phosphates - 1000 (test says it should be below 100 ppb) so it is off the charts high

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 80
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 80
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 80
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 80
The phosphate level really doesn't matter. You can get rid of algae and keep it away with a phosphate level in the several thousands. Lowering high phosphate levels is expensive and troublesome, usually much worse than normal shocking with chlorine.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me. My water has never been clearer, and I think I finally have some idea what I'm doing with my test kit.

My current test results:
FC - 6
CC - 0
TC - 6
TA - 90
CH - 260
CYA - 30

Water is sparkling clear for the first time in 2 years thanks to your help!

My pool is in direct Texas sun all day, should I bump the CYA up some?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.