Cloudy Pool - Would love your advice!!!

Apr 13, 2011
I have a 24' above ground pool. I can see just the bottom and the water is very cloudy. I took a water sample to a pool store yesterday and they said my chemicals are right on. I've tried running filter for 24 hrs and am not seeing much improvment. Here are the numbers.

Free Chlorine - .6
Total Chlorine - .6
Combined Chlorine - .0
PH - 7.5
Hardness - 175
Alkalinity = 140
Cyanuric Acid - 80
Total Dissolved Solids - 1600

I added Borex - I have a tester kit that is really hard to read - It looks to be somewhere between 50 - 80???

Thanks for your advice!

mandolin said:
I have a 24' above ground pool. I can see just the bottom and the water is very cloudy. I took a water sample to a pool store yesterday and they said my chemicals are right on. I've tried running filter for 24 hrs and am not seeing much improvment. Here are the numbers.

Free Chlorine - .6
Total Chlorine - .6
Combined Chlorine - .0
PH - 7.5
Hardness - 175
Alkalinity = 140
Cyanuric Acid - 80
Total Dissolved Solids - 1600

I added Borex - I have a tester kit that is really hard to read - It looks to be somewhere between 50 - 80???

Thanks for your advice!
did you test the water yourself or did the pool store do it? Also your FC is low so you need to get your FC up with bleach

assuming your chemicals are accurate, is it possible that you are backwashing your filter too much? sand filters work better after they have accumulated particles to plug up the holes. What is the PSI reading for your filter?

Welcome to the forum. :lol: All of your test results are decent except your chlorine, which is w-a-a-ay too low. Consulting the FC/CYA relationship chart up in pool school, you should have your chlorine constantly in the 6-9ppm range.

If your water doesn't clear within 24 hours of elevating the FC to that level, I would shock the pool. Please read how to shock your pool up in Pool School and you'll be on your way to crystal clear water.

You will read things on this forum that you won't get from the pool store. As you learn more and more, the conflicting advice will likely become greater and you'll have to make a choice as to whom you should follow. Either way, don't try to blend the two different resources.....it just won't work.

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol: All of your test results are decent except your chlorine, which is w-a-a-ay too low. Consulting the FC/CYA relationship chart up in pool school, you should have your chlorine constantly in the 6-9ppm range.

If your water doesn't clear within 24 hours of elevating the FC to that level, I would shock the pool. Please read how to shock your pool up in Pool School and you'll be on your way to crystal clear water.

You will read things on this forum that you won't get from the pool store. As you learn more and more, the conflicting advice will likely become greater and you'll have to make a choice as to whom you should follow. Either way, don't try to blend the two different resources.....it just won't work.

Dave is right...Pool store advice is meant to do one thing...make the pool store money. The decision for me to go BBB and follow the advice of those in the know here was simple. Frustratedpoolmom lead the way for me. I saw how easy it was through her experiences...and that was it I was sold...It is impossible to do things the TFP way and the pool store way at the same time. GO with TFP...and it is very likely you will only go to the pool store for liquid chlorine and pool toys like I do. They hate to see me coming...Cuz they know I am only there for chlorine and not $150 worth of chemicals. I am lucky if I spend $150 A SEASON.

Hi mandolin and welcome to TFP! :)
The only time my pool seemed good was the week I put it up and filled it. Started to turn ugly, so the pool store had me shock it, put in a clarifier, still wasn't great. I was going to the pool store every week to get tested and then I needed something else this week, etc. Just never felt like I had control over what the pool needed. Googled pool water chemistry looking to learn more about it and landed here last March.
After some reading and studying in Pool School, I needed to get my own test kit, I got the TF-100.
Read here about test kits:
pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison
Read some more and realized I wasn't shocking correctly because my CYA was way to high and I wasn't keeping the chlorine in the right range.
With the help of this forum I had a perfect and truly a Trouble Free Pool all year! The methods taught here work great!
If your serious about taking control of your pool your in the right place.
Order your own test kit, follow these instructions:
what-we-need-to-know-to-answer-your-questions-t10341.html
Post these results here and we all can help you achieve success!
Best of all...free college education
Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.