Union Gasket Replacement

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Turned the pump on this morning and my connection from pump to sand filter was leaking. I tighten it and at the moment it is not leaking. I supect the union gasket in the connection from pump to filter pipe is going bad. I have an extra gasket since it leaked earlier but quit after tightening. Has anyone changed this gasket and can give the steps to do. I'm thinking to change it I would of course loosen gasket nut on top of motor,,remove nut where water comes to pump from pool so i can move pump around some. slide motor sideways enough to clear pipe to filter and replace gasket.
Any advise greatly needed!!
Haywood max-flo 2 1.5 hp pump

Good morning,

My unions have on O-ring rather than a gasket so they may be a little different. That said, it sure sounds to me like you have the correct idea in mind. Posting a pic may help but, again, your procedure sounds exactly correct to me.

Is this the second time one of your pump unions has leaked?

Because it's the first time and you have stopped the leak, I would be tempted to just leave it. It probably "walked" itself loose from the motor vibrations and the tightening you did (they should ONLY be hand tight) may have fixed it for the next 20 years!! :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.