My not indoor pool at the moment

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
I just thought I would share a couple of pictures of my great pool building renovation, it is getting a new roof and new spray in foam insuation, skylights, fans, and soon solar heat. The old roof was 32 years old and it was past time to have it replaced.

Attachments

• poolroof.jpg
    poolroof.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 902
  • poolroof.jpg
    poolroof.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 888
  • poolroofold.jpg
    poolroofold.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 891
  • poolroofold.jpg
    poolroofold.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 888
  • poolroofnew2.jpg
    poolroofnew2.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 885
  • poolroofnew2.jpg
    poolroofnew2.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 891
The surprising thing is if you calculate chlorine and other chemical useage compared to a typical outdoor pool as well as the prolonged liner life (the liner you see in the photos is nearly 10 years old now) it nearly pays for the building cost over 30 years.

Ike

Things are looking better everyday, they started putting new roof panels on today, weather permitting it should all be enclosed again in a couple of more days, and the insulation should be blown in next week.

Ike

Attachments

• poolroofhalf.jpg
    poolroofhalf.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 755
  • poolroofhalf.jpg
    poolroofhalf.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 753
That is an absolutely beautiful pool!!!!! I would have been very nervous about debris getting in the pool! I also would have been nervous working over my head on scaffolding next to the pool! I worked on scaffolding in a very old theater once, and never wanted to do that again! Guess that is why I am not in construction/remodeling...
That looks like a great place to kick back and relax!

Very nice job!

You have a beautiful set up! Wish I had an indoor pool to swim in down in the basement! :mrgreen:

At this point in time the only heat is through solar which limits the swim season. The pool did have an electric heater many years ago though, which allowed year round operation, but operating cost vs level of use, particularly in the busy holiday season did not justify replacing it when it died. With the current solar heat system (upgraded last year, old solar came down with the old roof) I was able to maintain desired swim temperature of 83-84 degrees unitl the end of October when night time temperatures started dropping below freezing, and the last swim of the year was in mid November for a neighbors teen age son's birthday, water temperature was down to 77 by then, but as you know we all had a long cold winter, so it is hard to judge yet how the new upgraded solar will do in an average year.

Ike

p.s. about half the time we don't get our first freeze here until after New Years, this year it was about Oct 20th. I can't really answer for Chicago, a lot depends on the weather, I can tell you that here even with our very cold winter last winter, going 2-3 days at times below freezing and lows in the teens a number of nights that the air in the pool house never dropped below freezing and that the water only made it down to the upper 40's.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just thought I would add one more photo I had laying around in my attachments showing a partial view to the kitchen area with the hot tub I added a couple of years ago which is directly behind the view from the last photo I posted.

attachment.php

I don't know if you ever watch the show "Rehab Addict" but the host Nicole Curtis just rehabbed her grandfather's indoor pool (in Michigan!). The neat thing she did was remove the sliding doors, enlarge the opening and put in raising clear glass garage doors. She said it really made the pool more open to the outside for parties and such. It looked great!

If you ever have to start replacing doors..that might be an idea to consider?

Replacing doors will be in the next phase of the ongoing project, maybe next year, it is also about time for a new liner. I had been thinking french doors, but will look a the overhead glass ones you mentioned.

Ike

Ike,

What are the air handling/ventilation/AC costs for the enclosed space? I only visited Louisiana once in my life (New Orleans); it was February and the humidity was already too much for me :crazy:

Beautiful pool palace but you really need some faux Roman columns ;)

The pool house originally had a 5 ton air conditioner that was marginal, but at this point in time is not climate controlled which is not a problem if in the pool, but can be a bit warm in the summer in the seating area. Our climate is not as humid as New Orleans, being about 100 miles inland (in fact we are much closer to Houston TX than New Orleans being only about 20 miles from Texas as the crow flies) but we do typically have a few weeks of 100+ degree day most summers, certainly plenty of days in the high 90's. This is part of the reason I target pool water temperatures at around 83-85 degrees using solar heat in the spring, and reverse solar cooling at night in the middle of summer. I also have a high pressure fogging / misting system for the seating area that I planned to set up this winter, but never found time to, maybe I will get it done before next summer. In the colder non swim season months, the pool house doubles as a greenhouse shelter for the cold sensitive outdoor potted plants, usually maintaining temperatures in the 40's - 50's when it is below freezing outside, this is with a solar blanket on the pool in the off and fringe seasons. I also have a 140,000 btu indirect fired diesel heater that I use to maintain temperatures in the pool house when we have hard freezes that last more and 12 hours, it consumes about 1 gallon per hour of diesel and at full capacity can heat the building into the 80's when it is 20 degrees outside.

I wondered if you had an A/C running if there would be a way to recapture the water in the condensate pan and send it back to the pool. Obviously it would not be 100% efficient but it would be a neat way to "reclaim" water lost to evaporation. I wonder if anyone has ever tried that?

I wondered if you had an A/C running if there would be a way to recapture the water in the condensate pan and send it back to the pool. Obviously it would not be 100% efficient but it would be a neat way to "reclaim" water lost to evaporation. I wonder if anyone has ever tried that?

I am not sure, but reclaiming water is not a big deal around here where we measure rainfall in feet some of the time. Annual rainfall is around 60-70 inches some years more, some years less. If left free standing over time outdoor pools can actually fill up as the average rainfall rate is higher than the evaporation rate

YippeeSkippy: thanks for the reference on the episode I am looking to see if I can find it online

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.