Calcium Hardness is Ridiculous???

Mar 18, 2012
Amarillo, Texas
Throughout this entire time I've been battling algae, my calcium hardness has been ridiculous. I figure I have at least replaced 50% of the pools volume with fresh water. I know we live in an area with hard water, but my calcium hardness doesn't seem to go down. So I'm thinking replacement is not really helping change the level much. My question is if I don't drain again and add more water, what will my high calcium hardness do?

My test results as of this morning:

FC=6.0
CC=.5
PH=9.0
TA=170
CH=420
CYA-45

I know I need to adjust my PH and TA, but I really hate to do another partial drain to lower my CH.

You're correct in that the ph level of 9, if accurate, is way [WAY] too high. You need to get it below 7.8 as soon as possible. How was this level determined?

Have you checked the calcium hardness of your fill water?

There are a few people on here that have 4 digit CH. So it can be managed by keeping your other parameters in check.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Mine was starting to inch up over 430 before I did a partial drain. I got it down to 320 but it has inched back up to 360. My plaster is still new so I'm guessing the calcium is still leeching from the plaster. My fill water CH is 160 as well.

My CH is at 700. I keep all other parameters in strict control, though, so no problems.

If it gets into four digits, only then will I look at a reverse osmosis treatment.

Yep. It's so high that…
  • In the middle of the night, my daughter wakes up and asks for a glass of "chalk juice"[/*:m:1ze09yod]
  • My mother's advanced osteoporosis cleared up since moving here[/*:m:1ze09yod]
  • There are routine incidents of Helvetica*[/*:m:1ze09yod]

(*If anyone gets this reference, I'll be shocked—and not like a pool, but super-surprised shocked!)

nutjob said:
Yep. It's so high that…
  • In the middle of the night, my daughter wakes up and asks for a glass of "chalk juice"[/*:m:nwk8dxb5]
  • My mother's advanced osteoporosis cleared up since moving here[/*:m:nwk8dxb5]
  • There are routine incidents of Helvetica*[/*:m:nwk8dxb5]

(*If anyone gets this reference, I'll be shocked—and not like a pool, but super-surprised shocked!)

Ah,letting fonts rule your daily life! You might just be a nutjob! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Boy I will take 420 anyday. My CH has been 600- 700 however I manage it weekly by keeping the rest of the parameters in check. I recently rigged up a downspout to add rainwater to our pool and the CH is now 575.

When our CH hit 600 after 7 years i had all sorts of problems regulating my SWG. This spring I drained the pool and refilled it. After getting everything in balance initially the water has been crystal clear since with no CH build up. Right now my CH is around 220. I'm guessing it was about a $80.00 for the water refill cost. That's alot cheaper in the long run than to continiously dump in chemicals like Leslie's wanted me to do.
I have also rigged up a rain water catch drain system.

Happy to read that its not a complete tragedy that my CH levels are 800+. The drops actually sizzled when I added them to my pool water to test for calcium hardness! LOL! It sounds like as long as I keep all other levels in check then the white powder on the bottom of my pool is an inconvenience and not much more. Am I right? or did I misinterpret something. I added clarifier today to help remove some of that chalk, so we'll see if it works. Any other suggestions?

sounds like as long as I keep all other levels in check then the white powder on the bottom of my pool is an inconvenience and not much more.
Keep your pH on the lower side of normal....7.2 - 7.4 and you probably won't get any more white powder (if it is calcium precipitate)

Lots of rain down here in South Florida over the past few weeks so I've been vacuuming to waste like crazy and the rain has been refilling the pool. Calcium is now down around 500. That combined with your tip to lower Ph and I can now see my feet when I walk in the pool! It's looking good...so good in fact I just had a Memorial Day Party and my neighbors wanted to know my secret for such a beautiful pool...I sent them to TFP of course! Thanks again to everyone for all the help over the past couple of years!

With the recent rains from Tropical Storm Beryl I am happy to have reduced my CH level to 300. I have never had this as our CH level in our water vary from 150 to 180. The pool looks much better with lower CH :cheers: :cheers:

Well after even MORE rain since Memorial Day and 2 days of vacuuming to waste I am now in the high end of "normal" range for CH...400! Woohoo! very excited and happy that I did NOT drain the pool. They are reasons to be happy for the rainy season after all! Another week or so of this weather and I may have to add Calcium! LOL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.