AHHHHHH-my AGP is a swamp!!

flyweed

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Ok...I've had this pool now for 3 years...have always successfully brought the pool up to shock levels upon closing down in the fall. Yesterday, I took the cover off, only to find a nasty green swamp, with little "bugs" swimming around in the water column!!! the last 3 years I've always opened to a clean, clear, pool. What happened?? The ONLY thing I can think of, is we had a very LONG fall and not much of a winter.....I mean, this fall we'd get down to temps as low as 30F and then it would swing back up to the 60's for a week, and then back down..and it was that way until early December. Do you think those temp swings with warming and cooling water did this??

Anyway....started the pump last night....and when I get home I am going to take an initial set of test readings (yes, I have the TF100)...and then bring the water BACK up to shock level right away.

I can't believe my pool looks like this!!! :cry:

Dan

Well....got some work cut out for me..time to head to the local DIY store to pick up some supplies...(I already have 12 gallons of Bleach ready however)

Anyway..here are my test results as of noon today:

*Pump has been running for 24 hours
Temp: 65F
FC: 0
CC: 0
TC: 0
pH: 7.2
T/A 140
CH: 200 (vinyl liner, so not a big deal)
CYA: 0

Looks like all my CYA and Chlorine has vanished!! So, I am going to leave pH alone, and bring Chlorine up to shock level (12) which will be 5 gallons of 6% bleach...and I have to bring my CYA back up to 70ppm, so I need to add 239oz of stabilizer.

Does that sound about right? My plan is to keep shock level up for the next several days, and then once there is no overnight loss, I am going to start brushing walls and sweeping bottom.

Is this a decent plan, or does anyone have any other insights, hints, tips or tricks for me???

Should I go with liquid stabilizer, to quickly get the CYA up..or should I hang the powder in a sock in front of the return???

Thanks
Dan

Dan, since you are going to shock I suggest you add only enough CYA to get to about 30. After you are done shocking, you can then increase the CYA. It will take lots less bleach ($) to shock at the lower level.

Using the sock method for the CYA should be fine. Just squish the sock several times a day and it will help it dissolve. You can go with the liquid CYA if you want, but it is not necessary.

Remeber it can take up to a week before the CYA will register on the test and also bring the water to room temperature before testing CYA.

btw, you might wanna take a before and after pic.
You have seen plenty of the 'after' pic, but this is your first experience with the 'before' and hopefully the last! :wink:

Thanks for that info...I was planning on taking my CYA right on up to 70 to start..but you are correct with a lower cya to start I'll be able to shock at lower levels...hadn't thought of that. Back to the pool calc. to adjust my numbers.

UPDATE:

did an overnight loss test. Last night at 9pm my FC was 10 ppm.....this morning at 9 am FC is at 5ppm...No sun, it's overcast, and rainy, so we know the loss wasn't too any sun. Time to go dump in a few more jugs of bleach to get level back up to shock level!

Some good news..the water column is already clear....the floor of the pool looks nasty....does everything start to precipitate out of the water column upon shocking????

Dan

does everything start to precipitate out of the water column upon shocking
No, not really. Often, there will be nothing on the pool floor at all. The fact that your's did is a good thing. I would vacuum it right up into your sand filter and, when your psi increases by 25%, backwash the filter and repeat (if there's any left)

The vacuuming and brushing will probably stir the water back up a little but don't be discouraged by that....you have to get that junk out of your pool to get it crystal clear and ready to swim.

I am going to vacuum IF it ever stops raining....day number 3 of rain today!! I need some sun So I can get the cover off, and the vacuum out!!

Also..did another overnight test last night.......9pm last night 10ppm and this morning 10ppm!!!!! wahooooooooo

just another update.....just checked FC again at 3:30pm..and it was down just a hair to 9.5ppm so I added more bleach to take it back up to shock level of 10ppm...I'll test one more time tonight about 9pm...add more bleach (if I have to) and then let it go overnight again. I think tomorrow I'll try and get the winter cover off, and start brushing the bottom and vacuuming the crud up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok....another update......we tested FC at 3:00 pm on Sunday.......said we were at 8ppm, SO the Pool calc said to add 1.1 (96 oz) jugs of 6% bleach.....we added 1.5 jugs, figured what the heck....anyway......it is now 9pm on Monday night...I just tested the FC for the first time since yesterday's 3pm test, and my FC level is 10.5 ppm!! Really? I haven't lost any Chlorine overnight at all?? Can this be right? I have not tested my CYA since I added 103 oz. on May 4th...that should have put me CLOSE to 30 on CYA...should I now start bumping my CYA up to 50?? I am planning on starting up my SWG once I have clear water again...so should I still shoot for 50 CYA or should I go higher do to having a SWG??

THanks
Dan

How does your water look?

What is your CC level?

Remember the shocking process is not done until all three criteria are meet. Also, the shock level of 10 ppm FC for 20 ppm cya is meant to be a minimum and you should try to be above that during the whole process.

flyweed said:
Ok....another update......we tested FC at 3:00 pm on Sunday.......said we were at 8ppm, SO the Pool calc said to add 1.1 (96 oz) jugs of 6% bleach.....we added 1.5 jugs, figured what the heck....anyway......it is now 9pm on Monday night...I just tested the FC for the first time since yesterday's 3pm test, and my FC level is 10.5 ppm!! Really? I haven't lost any Chlorine overnight at all?? Can this be right?
Are you sure you were using 96 ounce bottles and not 128, or 182? If you did only add at total of 144 ounces, then something seems wrong.

flyweed said:
I have not tested my CYA since I added 103 oz. on May 4th...that should have put me CLOSE to 30 on CYA...should I now start bumping my CYA up to 50?? I am planning on starting up my SWG once I have clear water again...so should I still shoot for 50 CYA or should I go higher do to having a SWG??
The recommended level for swgs is 70-80, but I find my swg works best at about 60 ppm in our climate/sun angle.

...should I now start bumping my CYA up to 50?? I am planning on starting up my SWG once I have clear water again...so should I still shoot for 50 CYA or should I go higher do to having a SWG??
Don't raise the CYA until you are done shocking. It takes more chlorine ($) to shock at higher CYA levels. I'd also leave the SWG off until you are done shocking.

the water column is totally clear...nice clear water...the bottom of my pool is another story!! I have to sweep yet! I ONLY purchased 96oz bottles..so I KNOW that I didn't use a 128 or 182....I used a jug and a half..so that would be 144 oz. of 6% bleach.

I have not tested CC's yet....but am going to test that today at noon along with my CYA, just to see where it's at.

OK...I won't add anymore CYA until I am totally done shocking, and cleaning up the pool.

Good point by Butterfly! Yes do not add cya until done with shocking!

Sounds like you did not loose any FC, but I find that hard to believe. What are you using to measure it?

Let us know what your test results are when you get them today.

Linen...as posted earlier..I am using the TF-100 test kit...which I am well versed at using.

Anyway....today, test results at 10pm:

Temp 65 F
FC = 8
CC = 1
CYA = did not test

I Am bumping up the FC level tonight to 12..since 10 is only the minimum suggested for my pool.

flyweed said:
Linen...as posted earlier..I am using the TF-100 test kit...which I am well versed at using.
Sorry about that...sometimes people cut corners and fall back on strip readings etc.

flyweed said:
I Am bumping up the FC level tonight to 12..since 10 is only the minimum suggested for my pool.
Make sure you keep your pump running on high for one hour after adding the chlorine before you do your test tonight. Retest for CC tonight and tomorrow morning as well. I am assuming you are still leaving the swg off?

Since you have a CC > 0.5ppm ... that would indicate that you are not done shocking (That is 1 of the 3 criteria).

Although ... do you still have the cover on as that could prevent the sun (if it stopped raining) to help break down the CC.

Pump is running 24/7 I don't shut it down. Yes Cover is still on....We have had rain everyday since I started testing and shocking, and so I am waiting for a sunny day to actually pump all the rain water off my cover, and get it removed. I am hoping by tomorrow. (fingers crossed)

Dan

just an update...I havent added any bleach since May 9. I had to work long days and didn't get a chance to touch the pool other than put the Dolphin Diagnostic in, and let it start cleaning up the bottom....my tests today (May 11) at noon

FC: 10.5
CC: .5
CYA: between 25-30

Pump still running. Temp still about 65F

Now here's my next dilemma. My winter cover is getting old and has some holes in it....so I am attempting to pump off the cover from all the rain, and other nasty's that have accumulated over the winter months..but when I pump the cover MY POOL LEVEL goes down too. How the heck can I get this LARGE (33 ft round) winter cover off WITHOUT sucking my pool dry too? Should I fill the pool to the rim and try and slide the cover off? With so much water on the top, I can't lift it up and over the edge.

Thanks for any help
Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.