are filter savers bad?

Feb 27, 2011
My wife is insisting on training the dogs to swim, with safety as the advertised reason, although she has visions of a mermaid with her seadogs. :queen: :nemo: :fish: She countered my bad for the filter argument with the trainers suggestion of a nylon filter saver to catch the hair at the skimmer. I'm a smart man who knows when he's lost, :hammer: the dogs are destined to swim. so my question is, would these covers be bad for the filter by obstructing flow? Or as long as I keep them clean would they help?

thanks

They are fine, I use them even without the dogs swimming much :) I tend to call them skimmer socks. They reduce the amount of cleaning the pump strainer basket needs and allow the filter to go longer between backwashes/cleanings.

Dog hair isn't usually a problem even without the skimmer sock, though it does mean more frequent filter cleaning.

hmmmmm, dogs don't need to be trained to swim, you just toss them in and they swim. Okay, what type of dog are we talking about?

How would you accomplish training a dog to swim? Listen up dog, first you move your FL paw, then your BR Paw, keep you head just out of the water, wag tail furiously.....

harleysilo said:
hmmmmm, dogs don't need to be trained to swim, you just toss them in and they swim. Okay, what type of dog are we talking about?

How would you accomplish training a dog to swim? Listen up dog, first you move your FL paw, then your BR Paw, keep you head just out of the water, wag tail furiously.....

:p no, not dog paddleing, we're teaching them to do the backstroke! :lol:

actually the pool is an unusual shape- it has a slallow deck area, then a long swimming lane dumping into a rectangular pool. the only step entry/exit points are on the far end of the rectangle or the shallow deck. we have two dogs- both mutts. the labish one does ok, but wont get in the water. she'll put her paws on the deck and drink. the other (a king charls spaineil/jack russel/ ?? who is about 18-20 inches. She has fallen in (ok pushed in by alpha Maggie) she has stuggled to climb out of the swimming lane. once, if I didn't fish her out I'm not sure she would have made it. she was definitly in respitory distress for 5-10 minutes while on dry land.

I was at a Bible study when the leader's small dog, who was chasing a lizard near the pool, fell in. (The living room has a glass door and you can see the pool from there. He was then trying to get out of the pool, and couldn't due to the fact he wasn't using the steps and was too small to just climb out. The leader had to go out and haul his little doggie out of the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.