What order should I do this?

May 3, 2012
Okay, used my Taylor K-2006, results:
Alkalinity 90
pH 7.5
CYA no reading available (can only read >30 on test)

So I thought my chemicals were bad on the CYA, brought a sample of water to pool store and here are the results:
CYA 10
Alkalinity 92
Hardness 113
Optimizer 9

So I need to raise my CYA (last season it was 90 so I'm glad it's down) and Borates but I think my other numbers are in line right? Is there any particular order I should do this? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, you should get CYA up to 30-50. The pool calculator will tell you how much to add. Liquid CYA (sometimes called stabilizer), will mix with you water much faster than granular..and will show up on your test sooner.

Another thing..you did not list your FC. You will certainly want to measure that and make sure you are at the appropriate level for your CYA.

TA (Alkalinity) and CH (hardness) are fine for your pool.

Your single most important job on your pool this summer is to keep adequate chlorine in it. EVERTHING else takes a back seat until you can get your chlorine usage evened out. Do not let your pool run out of chlorine.

1. Put enough CYA in the pool to get to 50pp.

2. Put enough chlorine in your pool to get to 6ppm.

3. Keep testing and adding chlorine until you can keep it in your pool. You should only lose 2-4ppm daily.

Once you have the chlorine consumption and additions clearly under control, you can begin to work on your other parameters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll be honest, I'm a lazy pool owner. I dumped it in the skimmer basket. I also tend to dump my bleach as I walk around the pool I just don't have the ability to slowly pour it in front of the jet, when I try I'm usually done within 15 seconds which is much faster than the recommended 1 minute.

you would be better served putting it in front of a return......I don't think a one minute pouring time is necessary but we use that to emphasize it is important (with any chemistry addition) not to dump them in at your convenience because they need to be diluted. I put clorox in front of the return as fast as the jug will empty....that's probably not one minute but I still get INSTANT dilution and mixing and probably a better method that distributing around the sides.

CYA in the skimmer is fine......just don't backwash for about a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.