Suggested deck coatings

Jul 13, 2007
We have a whole lot of bare concrete after our pool build for past several months. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good deck coating that can be done at this point. We have around 1600 sf and the estimates from local contractors are out of our budget so soon after the build. Staining estimate was around $4500 and a decorative coating (not sure what it is but it is sprayed on like paint, multi step process) was about $6000. I have seen a pool deck coating by Olympic that was offered in one of those pool supply catalogs. Apparently that is rolled on like paint. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions and/or experience that we might be able to do ourselves. Thanks!

How many square feet are you talking about? A Sundek type product can be applied to existing concrete. Although I have not priced it outside of a build with concrete, I can't imagin it costing anywhere near that amount unless you have a LOT of concrete. What part of the country are you in? I would find out who does Sundek in your area and contact them directly, not through a pool company and get another quote.

rockyboy said:
I think that we are pretty close to 1800 square feet and we are in the Oklahoma City area. I have heard of cool deck but not sun deck.

Kool Deck has to be applied to fresh concrete, while SunDek is a top coat that can be applied at anytime to existing concrete.

I looked up the local Sundek dealer in your area gave them a call (had to hear it for myself) and apparently, I was way off. They quoted $6.50 per sq ft, so $6500! After having watched my Sundek be applied, I have to say, that seems WAY too high. Our price was $7.50 per sq ft but that included laying sand, rebar, and pouring the concret which was far more labor than the sundek.

You may want to do some searching and find contractors who do Sundek "like" products. I think there are a lot of suppliers out there who use products that are basically identical, but you may not have to pay for the name. Otherwise, this is certainly something you can do yourself. You may have to rent some equipment and do some digging to find the right product, but you could certainly save a LOT of money.

Maybe something like this acrylic top coat with the Skid-tex product.
http://www.recsupply.com/ProductInfo.as ... =KK4XXS555

Thanks for doing some digging for me. Sure wish you could write out an estimate for me. By my calc, assuming 1800 sf, the total bill would be around 12K :shock: No Thanks! The olympic "patio tones" in the Doheny's catalog may be similar to what you are speaking of. It can be applied right out of the can and is advertised to provide a cooler, slip-resistant surface. We have a broom finish but we are concerned it will still be slick in spots. I was wanting to find out if anyone has any experience with this product. Thanks again!

http://www.concretenetwork.com/

look under concrete restoration and re-surfacing...they can do some amazing things with an existing brush finished surface to make it look like it was stamped. I think there is a link to contractors in your area that do the work, I know there are a whole bunch in Houston. I am considering doing this for my existing driveway.

Cool Deck is OK, but I hear stories of it staining easily, and spalling/cracking due to weather considerations. I have not heard 100% good things about it, but it is pretty popular. Personally I think the stamped concrete look is much nicer, but just my opinion. good luck either way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.