Shock - How long till I can swim

n8huntsman

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
I'm having a party Saturday and I'd like to shock the pool first because there is a little bit of algae on the side. Very little, I could brush it and it would go away for a while but I'd like to kill it. The poolcalculator.com site says I need 800 ounces of bleach to raise the FC to 30. If I put that much in, how long will it take to come down to a level that I can swim in?
Thanks

Shocking is a process that usually takes several days (and sometimes more). Technically you could swim at shock level. What is your CYA at? Posting full results would be good if you have your own test kit.

Shock is a process that takes days to weeks, not a one time bleach addition ... especially if you actually see algae.

What is your CYA level to know what your shocking FC level is?

You are generally safe from the FC if it is below shock level for your CYA level, but if your FC is below that level then you are not really shocking.

CYA was 80, but it's been a few months since I checked. Probably no lower than 60. I'll check when I get home. I guess I'll wait till after the party to shock from the sounds of it. I don't want too much chlorine in the water when everyone is in it. I was just hoping that since the algae is so slight, that one dose would do it. I'm aware of the process though, I read about it here: pool-school/shocking_your_pool

I just noticed you have a SWCG. Is it working properly? Do you have salt in the pool? A CYA of 70-80 is fine for a pool with a SWCG. After you shock pool, you should maintain a FC level of 3-5...and you should not get another algae bloom.

At CYA 60 ppm, the shock value is FC 24ppm.
At CYA 80 ppm, the shock value is FC 31ppm.

You should be safe to swim up to these levels.

If you want to mostly clear out the pool before the party, bump up your FC up to the shock level tonight and brush the algae really well. Bump back up to shock level in the morning and brush again and then let the FC drop all day Friday until your party on Saturday (of course keeping FC at least in the recommended range for your CYA ... which apparently has not always happened if you have algae growing). Leave your pump running the entire time.

And then after the party do a real shock process.

EDIT: ah I see the post about the SWG ... is that not maintaining enough FC to avoid the algae? How often are you testing your FC levels to be sure?

If you really need it, they do make de-chlorinator (a bit pricey, but check your local pool stores) which will allow you to raise to shock level, then dump in dechlorinator a few hours before the swim party and cause the FC level to come crashing down. I had to use some a couple of years ago when I had a pump motor failure, then algae bloom the week before a big swim party.

Ike

p.s. As I recall a little bit of the dechorlinator goes a long way, I think I used 2 or 3 pounds to get my pool down to safe swim levels from well into shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you only loose 1ppm overnight with visible algae I would be surprised.

You should read the shock process in pool school and follow it ... after your party I guess.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

I'm not much of a morning person so I didn't get a chance to check it till the sun had been up for two hours or so. I know it's not a good indication since I messed up the steps, but it was down to 16 when I finally got around to checking. Topped off the chlorine, brushed the pool, and added more acid. I'll hold it at shock levels through the day then let it come down for the party. I'll shock it properly next week. It's really not bad. My guests would never even notice it, just bugs me because it's always been so crystal clear and sparkly till I screwed up. On a side note, I really enjoy looking at the grocery store checker's face when I put 8 giant containers of bleach and 4 boxes of borax on the conveyor!!! When they ask the inevitable question, it's always a mental debate; do I go with the meth lab story or the crime scene story? This time since I was also buying a ton of beer for the party, I opted for the meth lab.

So I held the chlorine at shock levels for two days. I then let it come down for the party. Nobody complained about the chlorine levels which were still around 15 to 20 ppm. The pool looked beautiful, clear sparkly water and no traces of algae. It was heated to around 85° to 90°. I've been allowing the FC to come back down since the 5th. It is now 5ppm and still looks good. CC is still 0 and always has been. CYA is now 80, and borax is now 50.
However, I went out to check the levels this morning and noticed a bunch of puffed rice on the bottom. I thought someone must have dropped it in the pool since we actually did have rice at the party. I scooped some out and was grossed out to find that it was wiggling. (Mosquito larvae maybe?) Looks exactly like puffed rice. So how do I fix this? Go back to shock levels? Vacuum? Clean Filter? Drain pool? All of the above?
Thanks

Probably just ignore it. (almost) I doubt your FC level has moved (although you are a little too low for CYA 80...you should be 6-9ppm FC) I think I would probably bring FC back up around 10-12ppm and forget it.

My opinion would be to bring the FC to the high end of recommended and keep it there until they go away. Just vacuum them up and the FC will take care of them. You'll clean what's left of them next time you clean the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.