Need advice about equipment in pool quote

Electron Mover

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2012
Prince George, VA
The pool will be a in ground fiberglass: 37' 9" L X 14' 1" W, depth 3' 10" - 6" 6"=20K gallons
PUMP: Jandy FHPM 1.0-2SPD
FILTER: Jandy CS 150sq ft
3 Returns-looped off of 2" rigid PVC
1 Skimmer straight run of 2" rigid PVC
2 Main drains straight run of 2" rigid PVC
SWCG: Zodiac APURE35

Anything I should change? The builder only deals in Jandy equipment but was open to any "changes" I want to make!
I was going to go with a sand filter because it's what my parents had in their pool years ago, but after he explained the benefits of a cartridge filter, I was OK with it.
Thanks for any advice y'all can give me, :wave:
Bill

Jandy makes fine equipment, and I considered buying that same pump! I'd try and get a bigger filter; we always recommend the biggest you can afford and will fit on your equipment pad. It just means you have to clean it less often. You didn't specificially say it, but make sure the drain is not plumbed through the skimmer, but run separately to the pad. I'm a fan of individually run returns too, but looped works just fine. I would rather have them individually so that if one starts to leak, you can just shut it off and use the others.

Melt In The Sun said:
You didn't specifically say it, but make sure the drain is not plumbed through the skimmer, but run separately to the pad. I'm a fan of individually run returns too, but looped works just fine. I would rather have them individually so that if one starts to leak, you can just shut it off and use the others.

The main drain and skimmer runs are separate and 2". I will see how much extra the individual return runs are (if he will let me, I can do those). What diameter PVC should be used for 3 individual runs?
Thanks for all of your and Dave's help!!
Bill

One more thing, when they plumb your pad make sure they leave plenty of extra room and use couplers, so when it comes time to change out the filter, pump, etc. you don't have to cut out and replace all the plumbing. It seems pool builders love to set up the pad as tight as possible with no room to cut and insert splices if needed, it is far better to have a couple of feet of lead in on all the pipes and the fittings all snug up against one another.

Ike

Best advice I tell everybody is use the biggest filter you can afford.
DO NOT USE less than 2" plumbing. No matter how small the pool is you must use 2" or bigger plumbing.
Leave room for add-ons to your equipment pad. Heater or heat pump, salt chlorinator, sense and dispense unit for chemical automation.
Put in a color LED light. Do not use a white incadescent light. A color light like the Hayward Colorlogic LED light will make your pool look like a resort in your backyard at night. You will thank me later. :) Have fun with your new pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.