Correct or incorrect SWG cell installation?

Apr 18, 2011
I bought a house with a pool/spa last year. I just noticed a strange configuration in the pool equipment where it seems that when the spa is in use (all water flow is through the spa returns), the SWG is bypassed. Please look at the picture. Am I right? Do I need to re-plumb?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 176
Welcome to TFP!

This is normal and correct unless you have an automation system that is linked to the SWG. If the SWG fed the spa, you would get way too much chlorine produced when in spa mode. Many of the automation systems automatically compensate for this, allowing you to put the SWG before the pool spa split. But without that you want it plumbed the way you have it now.

What do you mean with an automation system? I have the aquapure 1400 salt cell system with the wireless PDA. When you set the spa mode in the PDA, the Jandy valve before the SWG turns to close the flow to the pool return. In the SPA mode, flow is only through the SPA return and the aquapure SWG percentage is set to 90% (20% more than when in pool mode). Also when in spa mode I noticed that code 121 and general fault is displayed in the PDA. Salt level is 3500ppm. The code and general display message is gone when in pool mode. Service Code 121 according to manual is: "Low current in reverse direction to Cell". Should I set the aquapure percentage to 0% in spa mode since no water is flowing through the salt cell?

Thanks.

I will into that when I get back from work. The "no flow" light at the aquapure control box should come on right? If that is the case, then the cell should come off automatically even though is set at 90%. Don't you think?

Alright, you do have an automation system which knows about chainging the SWG setting for pool and spa mode. Therefore the ideal setup would be to put the SWG before the pool/spa three way valve. However you should be able to use it in the current position without problems by turning the spa mode percentage down to zero.

Thanks for the advice. I will check into the "no flow" light, aquapure percentage and set up tonight. I will probably re-plumb if I find enough room to put it before the Jandy Actuator Valve.

danramos said:
I will into that when I get back from work. The "no flow" light at the aquapure control box should come on right? If that is the case, then the cell should come off automatically even though is set at 90%. Don't you think?

Yes it should, but we in the industry do not like to rely on the flow sensor to turn off the SWG. If it fails and the cell is still turned on without water running through it, you can ruin your $500-$600 cell.

Your automation system should turn the cell off when in spa mode, or you can replumb it, but you will still need to have your automation turn it off or way down when turned to spa mode.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.