Pouring deck - Access to returns

Aug 22, 2007
Powhatan VA
I am preparing to pour the deck and I would like to install these over the returns :

niche1.jpg

(not my buddy's hairy legs, the bright white thing) :wink:

Both pool stores here are out of them, and I need them asap. I have tried searching but I'm not sure what they are called. I have been searching on 'return niche', etc. and the closest I can get is skimmer throat extenders. Do they have a name, and can they be bought online ?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Dave -

The pool company that I bought the kit from (Medallion) installs these over the returns so they can be accessed from the rear and front. I just don't know what they are called when they are used for returns. The skimmer already has this assembly on top.

Thanks ... :-D

Hi Dave -

The pool company that I bought the kit from (Medallion) installs these over the returns so they can be accessed from the rear and front. I just don't know what they are called when they are used for returns. The skimmer already has this assembly on top.

Thanks ... :-D

That's interesting. Initially, it seems a good idea but, the more I think about it, I'm not sure I can think of an advantage.

Obviously, it's to make any repairs that might be necessary but, if the return is 12"or so below the waterline, that would seem to make the lid about 20" above the return......virtually impossible to get down into to work on the back of that return.

Does the manufacturer give reasons for them that make good sense?

PS - Where I'm going with this is that you might consider skipping them....I'm not sure I've seen them on any pools....they certainly are not on mine.

Above each skimmer and return line, I have a concrete knock-out that can be hammered out if the line has to be replaced.

Never seen those in the picture.

You said both pool stores here are out of them, call them back and find out the name and who makes them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.