cleaner attachment on side of pool near skimmer

May 3, 2012
I just purchased a new home and wanted to attach my pool cleaning robot to the suction port on the side of the pool. Low and behold no suction! I tried all the valves, even had a pool tec. stop by. He said it was probably capped off somewhere. Does anyone know how I can find the end of the piping so I can attach it to the suction side of the pump?

Often ports are plumbed during the build to allow a cleaner to be added. I'd look near the equipment pad for a capped pipe coming out of the ground.

OH, I found out where mine was when they filled my pool up. I had a compartment below my pool house for a pump house for my pond and they ran all the plumbing in that area. They forgot to cap our port and guess what - when it got to the return in the pool, it flooded the entire compartment when the pump was running for the pond. It was underwater by about 2 feet. Never got a good resolve on that one. Mine was plumbed up to where all the other pipes come up into the pool house as JohnT suggested.

barkley said:
I tried sticking my garden hose in the opening and turning it on to see if water would exit somewhere... no success. I'm sure the line is capped.

Any unexplained valves on your suction lines?

Otherwise, I'd expect it to be within a few feet of where your other plumbing comes out of the ground. They wouldn't dig an extra trench if they didn't have to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.