New pool test results

Mar 19, 2012
Ok the T 100 test kit came in today.
I shocked the pool (27' round AG) 2 days ago and was using test strips at the time.
I added way too much chlorine -4lbs shock and 4 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine.
The strips were not showing movement past 3% until I added the last 2 gallons of liquid chlorine.
I ended up with a bright pretty purple color on the strip that wasnt even close to the chart on the bottle.
These are the T 100 results:
free chlorine 19
combined chlorine 1
total chlorine 20
total Alk 200
calcium hardness 100
CYA 45
PH NA - forgot to test - 7.8 on strip test
So the chlorine is high and has stayed that way for 2 days.
Is there anything I should be doing?
I added 4 lbs of CYA.
I did plug these in to the calculator BTW.

If FC is that high, your pH reading will be questionable anyway. Deal with it later.

Question: Is the 45 CYA reading before or after adding 4 lbs of CYA? Because 45 is already pretty high if you're shocking.

Just follow the directions for shocking. Brush and filter until it turns clear. When the process is over and FC drops down below 10, run the full series of tests again and then deal with pH and the rest.

Was the CYA liquid or granular? If it was granular then your target FC will need to reflect a CYA reading of 45 plus the effect of 4lbs more. If you added liquid CYA, your FC target should use 45 for your CYA.

studboyz, could you add you pool details to your sig, it helps us out.

Why did you add more cya? Do you have a swg?

Please clear up my confusion on how much cya you have put into your pool, and when you put it in, and what the cya concentration was before you put it in.

I first added 4 lbs of granular super shock then 4 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine.
I used a test strip to check levels.
CYA was showing 0 so I added the 1 lb of granular CYA that came in the start up kit.
CYA still not registering and according to the package I needed about 3 more pounds.
I bought another 3 lbs and added it.
The test strip was showing CYA but it was not clear what amount.
2 days later I recieved the T 100 test kit and got the results shown above.

CYA can take a week to show up in tests. I would not add any more until you are done shocking.

What was in the granular chlorine you added to your pool? If it contained cya (i.e. if it was dichlor or trichlor) with it you will need to know how much total you have added so you can find your shock FC level.

studdboyz75 said:
So that added about 14 ppm cya to your pool. So running total is about 28+14= 42 ppm (assuming 17000 gallon pool, 64 ounces of cya and 64 ounces of dichlor added). I would not add any more for now. Since is has been a couple of days since you have added it, for shocking purposes you can assume it is all in there and adjust your minimum shock level to 15 ppm (per pool calculator for 42 ppm). Test again for cya 1 week after you added the last amount to see where you are for sure.

How is the shocking process going? I would use only liquid chlorine/beach for the shocking process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.