Guidance For Pump Replacement

Jul 25, 2008
All, My 10 year old Jacuzzi Magnum 1.5 HP pump needed assistance (spin shaft) last season at start up but ran all season with no issue. This season pump started up on 1st attempt but getting very noisy. I believe the bearings are going.

Options:
1. Wait until motor completely breaks down.
2. Replace motor.
3. Replace with another pump.

My initial thought was replace with a new 1.5 HP pump but would appreciate inputs on pump manufacturers and model types.

Details
-23,000 gallon in ground pool
-Heater
-Magnum Force Jacuzzi pump (1.5 HP / 230 V)
-Pump Inbound: Drain, Spa Step drain, 2 skimmers
-Pool outbound: 2 pool returns and spa step return (4 jets)
-Valve mgmt allows me to isolate spa step (drain and 4 jets) using heater/pump just for the spa step

Ken

If you are happy with the amount of jet action in the spa, one good approach is to replace the motor with a matching two speed motor. That will give you the same jet action you have now on high speed, and give you low speed for circulating the pool less expensively that you can now.

One large factor in the decision is your electric rate. If electricity is expensive in your area it will be worth getting a variable speed pump instead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.