Changing a "spider gasket."

msumoose

In The Industry
Apr 19, 2012
Had to change the spider gasket in a customer's pool, and since it is so easy, I thought that I would provide a step-by-step.

Here is the filter, a Pentair Tagelus...
[attachment=2:36o3f53i]IMAG0354.jpg[/attachment:36o3f53i]

And the multiport valve...
[attachment=1:36o3f53i]IMAG0353.jpg[/attachment:36o3f53i]

So the first step is to remove the 6 screws/nuts and bolts. The top housing of the valve shoud lift off. When you get it off, is should look like this...
[attachment=0:36o3f53i]IMAG0355.jpg[/attachment:36o3f53i]

Next post will continue with the process.

So in the above post, I have the top of the multiport off, and you can see the spider gasket. It is important to note the position of the handle to the gasket - taking a picture here will save you a LOT of rework later when you inadvertantly put the handle on backwards. Also, on this model filter, the whole plastic assembly must be replaced, you cannot just replace the gasket. It is different on each filter - make sure you have an understanding of this before you order your part and try to put it on.

Back to the pics....

On this unit, you have to remove the handle from the plastic assembly. Pentair convieniently has a groove to get at the necessary screw...make sure the valve is on "filter" to access the screw.
[attachment=2:22v4m4n5]IMAG0357.jpg[/attachment:22v4m4n5]

After you remove the screw, you can remove the handle, and the gasket assembly. Here you see the bad gasket versus the new....
[attachment=1:22v4m4n5]IMAG0358.jpg[/attachment:22v4m4n5]

Make sure you don't drop or lose any parts, on this model, there are two plastic washers and a small o-ring, plus the spring that keeps the gasket down. This is a good time to put some lube on the o-rings of the valve and the gasket, for that matter.

Now the tricky part... assemble the various parts. Align the valve like the picture you took earlier, and make sure you can get the screw in (filter mode for this model). Now for a little hint. You have to compress the spring to get the screw to align in the hole - carefully put the top back on the filter, and you can put two screws in and tighten them to compress the spring...see this pic....
[attachment=0:22v4m4n5]IMAG0362.jpg[/attachment:22v4m4n5]

So if you are REALLY good, you already have the top of the valve in the right position - Pentair (most manufacturers for that matter) make it where the valve only goes on one way...
[attachment=1:lnosgqxn]IMAG0360.jpg[/attachment:lnosgqxn]

Then, just replace the screws or nuts or bolts. Start and test to see if it works!

This pool was spraying sand and gunk into the pool. This fixed the issue.

One more pic of the trick I mentioned of spring compression...this time without the handle.
[attachment=0:lnosgqxn]IMAG0361.jpg[/attachment:lnosgqxn]

Hope this helps someone!

Best stuff Ive ever had for o-rings came with my Rainbow chlorinator in a small bottle.

I emailed Rainbow (Pentair, actually, I think) about where to buy it and they sent me a few of the small bottles for free.

Once it runs out I think I will go with the Jacks stuff that my local pool store has. I coat all the o-rings during closing and leave them in a zip lock bag during the winter. They always seal perfectly from day 1 when I start the pool back up again.

I have a Jazzi multiport valve which seems to be not a common one. No information on the net or very little.
Through research, I was able to contact the factory in China directly, they were very helpful and sent me a new spider gasket.
i have watched every YouTube video on changing a spider gasket.
Most say to put the valve handle between any 2 settings to relieve the spring pressure. Some do not mention this step at all. I do know that my MPV head will come off without removing the handle, once the screws are removed, it comes out as one unit.
Remove the screws and then the head of the MPV.
Remove the old spider gasket being sure to completely clean the channels the gasket sits in.
Some videos say to glue the new gasket, some say just lubricate it and didn't mention glueing at all.
More than one recommended using Vaseline as the lubricant, but I know better than to do that.
The gasket arrived today and I sent an e mail to the factory if they have an installation sheet, or at least tell me if this should be glued or not. One did recommend using superglue and I also know better than to try that and have the new gasket glued to my fingers.
I live in Thailand, we have Home Pro, same as Home Depot or a Lowe's, they do carry Loctite products, so I can get Loctite to glue it in place and I will look to see if they have an "O" ring lube or a Teflon based type lube.
i am pretty sure they will have some type of suitable lube or I can ask the pool store if they have some.
I am mechanically able and surely can do this simple job myself, but am trying to make sure I get the info to do it correctly.

Hopefully, Johnny at the Jazzi factor in China can reply with info, I will wait for his reply

I plan to carefully move the top, then the old gasket and use the correct Loctite which I think is 403 or 416 as the glue, I will check that, and then lube it with "O" ring lube, Teflon lube, or the closest Non solvent lube I can find here.

if any of you more experienced guys have any comments or advice based on what I said above, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bruce

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I took the MPV apart today to replace the spider gasket but discovered a bigger problem.
it looked like this valve was originally assembled with no lubricant at all as evidenced by all the scratches and gouging on the ring that rotates each time you select a different port, plus there is a good sized piece of the material missing and there is another piece missing about the same size directly opposite this one.
So I lubricated it and reassembled it without changing the gasket.
I contacted Johnny at the factory in China to assemble a new top assembly for me, this guy is a great contact, he had it organized for me in a few hrs.
41.00 USD plus shipping and it is on the way.
I was easily able to find Permatex gasket adhesive and a Teflon based lubricant.

Some attachments are hosted on Photobucket or other offsite hosting sites. Some places have some of those sites blocked and in some cases the person posting the pic has deleted or moved them and therefore they're not available.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.