How much torque on dial valve top nuts?

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
To winterize my filter I removed the Jacuzzi 7-way dial valve from the top of the valve body. It is held on by 6 screws and nuts, with a square o-ring in between. I reinstalled it today, and there is air sucking in at the o-ring seal. It worked fine last year. I'm just afraid to crank down too hard on those nuts. Is there a torque spec. on something like that or is just feel? I don't want to crack it. We bought a new diverter last year and I'm pretty sure it came with the o-ring. Couldn't just buy a spider gasket because the diverter and gasket is all one piece. The o-ring looks ok. How hard can I tighten it without worrying about cracking it? Am I supposed to really tighten it or should it work just being snugged down? Thanks. Ed.

I doubt they give a torque spec. It would be in inch-pounds, and most people - even most mechanics - don't have a torque wrench that goes low enough. Having snapped more than a few plastic parts in my time, I'd recommend using a short wrench or ratchet, an hold it with your fingertips, not getting a death grip on it.

An O-ring is a gasket. They really don't like to be re-used, especially not the square cut ones. Did you grease it up good with pool lube? That's the first thing to try. Then try a new O-ring.

Got the new o-ring in. The best the pool store could was a round o-ring in lieu of a square one, but it seems to work fine. I just snugged down the 6 screws. So far the system is air tight. I turned off the pump once and all the water stayed in the pump.....no dreaded sucking noise.

Still need to rebuild the dial valve handle....sometimes I get a little water coming up through the middle of the dial valve cover where the handle attaches.

Note to self: It also pays to remove ALL return plugs when opening pool. Forgot the 3rd one. When I removed it, the pressure immediately dropped 2psi in the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.