Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to decide on SWG - Is Pentair IntelliChlor any good?

1. Back To Top    #1

About to decide on SWG - Is Pentair IntelliChlor any good?

Hello again!
    I am opening our pool this weekend, converting from Baquacil to Chlorine...But I think I'm going to go with a SWG within the next month, they sound great and I'm hoping it will help with some Chlorine sensitivity that my son & I have had in the past.
    Anyway, does anyone have any feedback on Pentair's IntelliChlor system? My local pool guy is a family friend, and I do think he treats us right, and I do NOT feel comfortable with plumbing or electrical (although I do alot of other DIY stuff), and he installs the IntelliChlor systems.
    Any good/bad news out of these?
    Thanks for any help.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

2. Back To Top    #2
    It's a decent system. Not that familiar with it (don't sell that brand) but i haven't heard too many bad things about them and Pentair is a decent company.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm happy with mine... it did need replacement once when the salt sensor started reading all wacky, but the PB quickly swapped it out with a new one and it's cranking along fine.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info.
    I was told by the sales guy there that there are reports of the salt possibly corroding the mounts that the pool rail and ladder fit into; he also said some people think the salt corrodes concrete...but that we could, of course, spray these all down with water.
    Has anyone heard of the salt corroding/breaking down these mounts or concrete?
    Todd
    --------------

5. Back To Top    #5
    Concrete is comparatively unaffected by salt. Salt does have a slight effect on typical ladder mounts, but it is slow and doesn't usually become an issue.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

OK cool, Jason, thanks. I saw another thread where a lady had to get stainless bolts, I'll probably do that this weekend (for my ladder, rail, etc.?) just to be sure.
    Todd
    --------------

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the IC20 and so far so good, knock on wood. It will be my third season soon. As far as salt corrosion goes... there is high quality stainless steel screws and there is low quality. You will find out quickly which ones you have.

8. Back To Top    #8

Great, I think that's the one I'm getting, if I go for it (16,800 gal. pool); thanks for the good word, that's great to hear...and I did read a thread here that got into the grades of SS; I knew some about it from the business I'm in (stove pipe that fits on our stoves)...thanks!
    Todd
    --------------