Filter replacement / possible saltwater conversion

Stomp

May 13, 2009
Orange County, CA
Hi all,
I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to in one post so I'm starting a new one. I'm sure there is information somewhere in the depths of this site, but unfortunately I couldn't find it.

A few years back I replaced my old pool pump with a variable speed Intelliflo - that unit has been working great. I don't service my own pool ( :oops: ) and a few months back my pool guy told me the unit is officially toast - can't open and the backwash is stuck. He's simply a pool guy and not an installer, so he's not trying to sell me anything. Considering I think this is original (late 70's, early 80's) equipment I think it's about time ;-)

Here is a picture of the equipment and the pool.

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

The heater isn't functioning so my intent is to have it taken out when I do the filter replacement. Presumably that means I need a "professional" to cap the gas line.

I think the pool is about 30k gallons. No water features except for three sprinklers that aren't always on. Here are my questions.

1.) Based on the second picture it appears that PVC is going into the ground from the pump. Is it safe to assume this means they went with PVC for everything and not copper? Given the fact that I disovered my main line in from the street is PVC as well I assume that they weren't overly generous laying copper on the property (though the house has it inside).

2.) I'm considering a conversion to saltwater from chlorine (hence my copper question), so I'd like to get a filter that works for both applications - is this problematic? Are there other considerations when considering a conversion?

3.) Any suggestions on brand/options for my application? As you can tell the equipment is on a slope so backwashing is no problem. I have a Leslie's nearby as well as a few smaller shops. I had considered buying online and finding somebody to install, but I've decided I will go with one outfit for both purchase and install.

4.) Are there other things I should consider doing right now? The pool definitely needs replastering and that will eventually happen, but I'm wondering about other gadgets/items I should consider while touching all this equipment.

Thanks!

Filters are all fairly standard, all of the major brands make good filters. We recommend getting the largest filter you have room for and can afford.

Any standard filter will do equally well for salt or not salt. If you want a SWG (salt system) you should do it at the same time as the filter. The same goes for replacing the heater (though it sounds like you don't intend to do that), best done at the same time. Nothing else common is important to do at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.